What can I do to understand my 10 yr old boy?

I have a 10 year old boy and I dont know I guess he feels so independent or something but he yells at me and answers back, for example he wants me to give him permission for everything and when ever I ask him to do something around the house he does not like it. He is not always like this but when he gets that little attitude he really gets on my nerves.

Irma82

Asked by Irma82 at 3:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• AHHHH, he is trying to grow up but trying to stay young also.Its the time when you have to put your foot down when asking him to do something. 99% of all children go thru this so adjustments do need to be made. I know a lot won't agree with that, but they really do. You have already grown up, he hasn't so he he will want to find his own way and that takes years.Maybe asking him to do something when he asks for something will even it out. When they hit this stage, every other year is something different.They get an attitude from hell-o, and you want to scream. Now that you know its going to happen no matter what you do, you will have to deal with it in a way that will be acceptable to both of you. You can't change it, but, you can deal with it. Find something that will work for both of you.☺
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• id start checking that attitude at the door or u should do it for him
    put his lil 10yr old butt on timeout
    it'll really suck for him but u should get a hold on that before the teen years arrive
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It sounds as if you are lucky enough to have a child entering into puberty. Do yourself a huge favor and find the book 'Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy' by Michael J. Bradley. It has helped me enormously. I have learned why my son is acting like a nut job (because he actually is a nut job) while also learning how to keep my sense of humor and raise a child who will be a part of productive society. Good luck!
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 4:44 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Little people, little problems. This is only going to get bigger as he grows unless you put a stop to it. He is asking your permission for things...well if he gives you tone for asking simple chores/responsibility then NO is his answer! You have to give respect to get respect...the sooner he learns this lesson in life the better of you both are.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• "You have to give respect to get respect...the sooner he learns this lesson in life the better of you both are."

I love that line! But I find it funny that people expect that the child should be the one to give it first as if he is the experienced and rational one. Keep in mind that children are childish and are still in the process of learning. Our children are looking at us for an example of what it means to be an adult. Do we really want it to mean "pushing around the little guy"?
    Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 2:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009