A couple question about Asperger Syndrome.....?

I have an 8 y/o girl who I believe has Asperger's. She can function in everyday activities, play sports, wash dishes ect. But she also has her moments where she just has impulse problems where she does things anyone else wouldn't as well as angry fits of rage, oh and she HAS to sit behind me in the car. But my questions are: Can s0meone with AS still have a low IQ (Anna's is 71)? Also (and this one is more personal but its important) is masturbation in public (like school) a trait? We have been dealing with that one since kindergarten.

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 4:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have Asperger's Syndrome. I was diagnosed at the end of my 7th grade year. My IQ is lower than "normal" so, yes...she can have a low IQ and still be an Aspie. Sounds like hers is more severe than mine thus resulting in her IQ level.

Masturbation in public is not a trait but not being socially aware is. That is why she masterbates in public. She doesnt understand what is socially appropriate. Sometimes, I still have a hard time with that.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me at anytime. I am very honest and open.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 2:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My son is also 8 with Asperger's we've had problems not with masturbation, but constantly adjusting his underwear...he has no discrepancy about this. He will be in the middle of the soccer field and adjust...lol. But we always associated this with his Tourette's...Thank you for the new perspective.
    Something that pops into my head is the fact that Asperger's children are very sensory oriented ... perhaps it is a sensory outlet of sorts. It feels good thereforre it is calming and school can be VERY stressful for our kids.
    As far as the fits... OH GOD ...we have dealt with these for the past 1 1/2 years. And I feel for you hun...they are horrible. My son will go off about the tiniest things and next thing you know chairs are flying and he's punching and kicking. How long do hers last and how often? My ds at the beginning lasted 1/2 hr or longer 2x a day. NOw we're down to 2x a wk at a 15 min average.CONTINUED
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Does she receive services? If so, you might want to look into Occupational Therapy OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL. You have to keep in mind...when the child receives therapy in school it is aimed at helping the child function better in school aspects. Outside therapies will help with funcxtioning in all other areas of life...I learned this the hard way. Anyways, OT can help with the masturbation problem by teaching her new coping techniques and help her become more comfortable in her own skin.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well her fits last for about 15 minutes...they aren't as bad as they used to be. She had a fit one time where she literally threw her mattress off her bed.  And has also thrown a chair at her kindergarten teacher.  But I'd say maybe once a month now for the big ones but a couple small ones a week.  As for services she has an IEP at school because of her IQ/LD.  She is going to be tested  for dyslexia next month.   Thanks for the reply.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Your child cannot have Asperger's Syndrome b/c one of the primary requirements for the diagnosis is for the child to have an average to above average IQ. Since your child has a borderline MR IQ, she would not qualify for an Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis. If you believe she has other issues that may be causing or contributing to her current behaviors, then you should seek out either additional evaluations or a consultation with her primary medical provider. Another possibility is that she has entered puberty (yes, at 8 it can begin in girls) and the hormones are affecting her behaviors, in which case you would still need assistance from other professionals to help both you & she deal with the new symptoms.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thats why I asked because I've read Asperger kids IQ's are normal or high. But I've also read they can have low IQ's also. I honestly think Anna's IQ test was wrong. But I can't prove it other wise. I know she has Dyslexia she is going to be test for that next month. She reads entire words backwards like if the word is "ten" she will read it "net" and she writes her numbers backwards.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2009