My 2 yr old son has eczema and i have tried everything please help

Any mom in here with any advice about any over the counter or home remedies i can do for my son please help me. I have went to his pediatrician and she has given us 2 different kinds of creams(on 2 separate visits) and they were not doing the trick. My poor wakes up in the middle of the night screaming bloody murder and scratching. His face is swollen and arms, legs, hands, knees, feet, and ankles are bleeding because of the constant scratching in his sleep. I put socks on the little mans hands and I wake up to find that he just took them off.

starkj84

Asked by starkj84 at 4:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Health

• aww thats so sad i feel so bad for the LO. I would give an oatmeal bath when possible and keep with the creams ur baby might have a real severe case.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 4:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Aquaphor is what I use for my DS. My mom uses the green tin that has a cow utter on it (sorry forgot the name) But it seems to help. Also use mild soap and laundry soap. I know how you feel.
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 4:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my husband had this problem since he was 8 and his mom tried everything until she tried cortizone10 maximum strenght oitment not cream oitment and he's been using it ever since and he still uses till this day and it seems to help with the itchyness and all
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You say that you have tried everything, what have you actually tried?
    If everything does not include eliminating dairy, then do so. It make take a couple of weeks for all of the dairy to leave his system. If you are concerned about calcium, you may be surprised to learn that like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    Have you tried coconut oil?
    Baths will actually make the excema worse, so keep them quick and cool.
    As a last resort, eliminate wheat.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• the only thing that helps my sons eczema is not having dairy. he loves soymilk, and it has more nutrition than cows milk. we tried lots of creams and other natural remedies but most of them make it worse. i was told once that it is usually something in the diet trying to get out of your childs system. good luck!

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my dd has mild eczema, i give her oatmeal baths and use aveeno lotion on a daily basis, but for flare ups, eucerin calming cream does pretty good
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My DS has severe eczema like your son. I HIGHLY recommend getting him on an anti-itch medicine called Adarax (generic: hydroxyzine). My son takes it 3x a day. He also takes Zyrtec b/c his eczema is a result of environmental factors. I would get him tested for food allergies and all other allergies. I have been to the ER with my son for staph due to the open wounds his scratching leaves and they ran a full panel for zinc deficiency and all sorts of different things. I have gone to strictly using Aquaphor on my son b/c a lot of the ointments/creams/lotions that we have that a prescription (we've tried everything under the sun) are very dangerous to use for long periods of time and damage the skin even though they help the eczema. It's not worth the long term effects. However, the best prescription cortisteroid we tried was Cutivate and we got the ointment not the cream. I would just bathe your son maybe 3x a week and lather...
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• CONT..him up in Aquaphor every night and put him in a feetie sleeper. It's one of the only ways I found to keep my son from tearing up his ankles and feet at night until he learned how to take them off. Also if it gets bad enough, you may be able to ask your doctor to prescribe him a liquid steroid. You cannot do it often, but it sure as heck knocks that eczema out. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I think we've done every test, had every medication, etc etc dealing with my son's eczema. And it has FINALLY gotten better. Good luck!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• File down his nails and have him sleep in your room so you can keep a eye on him at night or sleep in his room.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 8:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• olive oil after a bath rub on damp skin. also have him drink honey tea before bed with raw honey and spray teatree oil/water spritzer bottle on bed to kill dust mites vacuume a lot get rid of cats too sorry!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2009