I am worried about my mom...any advice?

My mom has always been a very small woman. Shes about 4'10 and 100lbs. Shes been through alot of stress lately and has been losing alot of weight. Recently my son said to her "mom mom whats all those bumps on your back". This upset her emotionally but she wasnt upset at him because hes only a child. What he saw was her spine. She has gotten that thin and no matter what she does, she cant gain weight.

Does anyone know how I can help her gain some weight? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Health

• My first thought is to get her to a doctor if she has lost so much weight that her spine shows.You sound so caring towards your mom so talking to her about going to the doctor will help. My daughter saved my life by doing that, she was a little forceful about it, (ok a lot forceful),but without her intervention I would not be typing right now.Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. She may get upset with you, but, thats ok, don't worry about it, she will get over it and her health will get better.I wish you luck ☺
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I am sorry that your mother isn't doing well. I agree with Kat that she needs to see a doctor soon. There may be something wrong, a hormone imbalance, for example, that can be fixed. Also perhaps she could take classes- anything that interests her, but yoga might help with stress- to help deal with stress. But first see a doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If she is eating a healthy diet, then she may have a medical issue.
    In the interim, she needs to be eating nutritious, calorie packed meals. Here are a couple of suggestions. Add flax or hemp or olive oil to whatever you can. Whole grain toast with a mashed avocado. A smoothie made with frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, yogurt (the real kind, with live cultures and without gelatin or HFCS), 2-3 fresh kale leaves (loaded with iron and calcium) and orange juice (the vitamin C will increase the absorption of the iron).

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• im a cna and when the elderly would lose weight we would offer more high calories snacks, she can try those instint carnation breafeast, ensure with lunch and diner, if she eats ceral try replacing milk with half and half, if she doesnt eat a good meal try to get her to eat a milk shake with peanut butter in it...a favorit for my clients was cholcalte ice cream with peanut butter, try to get her to eat pasta and dairy...this should help with the weight loss issue
    Anonymous