A question for Satanists...

Do you consider Anton LeVey's "Satanist Bible" an accurate representation of the true principles of Satanism?

If not, why and do the majority of Satanists use this book?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There's all different ones. Within atheistic Satanism, there are people who call themselves LaVeyan, modern, non-traditional, etc. There's the Church of Satan started by LaVey, but there is also several others, one started by his daughter because she thought the original was getting corrupt, others that don't focus on LaVey (like Temple of Set). You don't have to be a member of any of them either....I'm not. I just pretty much take ideologies from any of them that I agree with, but I'm not going to adhere myself to one.

Within theistic Satanism (the ones who actually believe in a deity), there are different sects too. Luciferianism is probably the one you can find most info on, but there are several more. They can also be called traditional Satanists.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i'm just curious, what is a satanist?
    pepsi_lover_mom

Answer by pepsi_lover_mom at 9:21 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Okay...a Satanist is not the devil worshipping, baby and animal killing monsters most think they are. It actually isn't too bad of a concept. A very simple condensed kinda version here...Satanists believe in being true to ones self. They believe in doing what feels good and right to you and not adhering to someone else's standards or views. They believe that you don't turn the other cheek...Do me wrong once shame on you...do it twice shame on me. They believe your own happiness comes first.
    Now ... The Satanic Bible...it is a great book full of information. It has the 9 Satanic statements and examples/explanations of each one. It breaks down the TRUE aspects of the religion and how to best make use of it to your benefit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't personally agree with every word that came out of LaVey's mouth....but yes, the Satanic Bible is a very good overview of what Satanism is about. It is not, however, something to be followed like some follow the Christian bible. Satanists do not blindly follow anything. The rules and sins are pretty much there just for outsiders to understand us, they are not set in stone. LaVey is nothing more than a dude who wrote some books....he is not considered a prophet or anything like that. I know some (who call themselves LaVeyan Satanists) do adhere closely to everything he wrote, but many don't. I, for example, don't do magick. He puts a lot of emphasis on magick and I don't do things like that. Many people, when they read the Satanic bible, will agree with much of it...whether they want to admit it or not :) It's based on human nature, so they should agree with it to some extent!
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think a majority of Satanists have read it and agree with most of it.....but there are actually some who hate LaVey too. Satanists don't necessarily agree on anything, since we're all individuals :) I don't personally use the Satanic bible like Christians may use their bible. I don't go read it over and over to find inspiration on how to help me through something. I get my answers from myself, I think that's what Satanism is about.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• metalcowgirl34,

Thank you! I remember reading it in High School and finding it very interesting and thought provoking and you are right about it pertaining to human nature! I never knew it was not considered 'the bible' by all followers and to be treated like such.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, some do hang on it's every word (and he did write other books too). Depends on the person. I don't like to use one source to find answers in.....I think that defeats the purpose of Satanism. His books have taught me a few things though.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I thought the two major sects were the Church of Satan (LaVeyan) & the Temple of Set (Setian) but, mcg may be a better person to ask questions about this topic.....

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have to agree with MCG. I'm not a Satanist but I dated many and read the Satanic Bible. I don't agree with him 100% but that could be why I'm not one of his follower. They were however and yes, it's at least a general protrail of Satanists. The basics are there and then each person is free to branch and believe as they will.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I was just reading the website on the Temple of Set. It's actually a branch started because of those who disagree with the Church of Satan...both because of it's later corruption and because they don't totally agree with LaVey's teachings. The site is www.xeper.org if you are interested in checking it out. I think, so far from what I'm reading, I agree with it more.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2009