Why do we vote?

Why do you feel it is important to vote, and what would happen if everyone decided it was no longer important to vote? What would happen in this country?

Please note, this is not a political bashfest, this is for an essay that I am working on, and I need other peoples' opinions on. Thank you.

cheriealanismom

Asked by cheriealanismom at 9:46 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not enough people do vote. Only the presidential election draws larger numbers. The place where our votes really count are in the local/state/congressional level. The presidential election may actually be the least important.

I vote, because its how to make sure I am being represented. I attempt to unseat incumbents who aren't doing their job. I vote on measures that I agree with and vote no on the ones I don't, because they affect my local community.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 12:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't vote. I have seen my rights taken away to many times here in Colorado. We vote on something, it passes and then the gov't steps in and says, we overturn it. BS I thought that was our right to vote on something win or loss!!! It proved to me that our vote DOES NOT have any say.

kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think it's important to vote. You are expressing your opinion and it is your civic duty to vote

The reasons why you vote for something and then the govt steps in an says "we overturn it" is because we are not a true democracy, we are are republic. The republic protects the rights of the minority. In essence, the majority cannot take the rights away from a minority. We also have a constitution that we have to follow and even the people voting on something cannot go against the constitution.

The biggest problem is that those issues should never be in the ballot in the first place.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The biggest problem is that those issues should never be in the ballot in the first place.

That is so true!!! But they are therefore we have a right to vote on them. And regardless of win or loss, it should stand. What pisses me off is the ones that fight so hard to get something on a ballot and win it doesn't win, they yell discrimination or how unfair it was!!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't know how to answer this. If NO ONE voted, then I guess they'd have to hold a new campaign while the incumbent just continued to serve. Any resolutions on the ballot would fail in absence of being passed. Of course, someone would always vote and it would likely be for the challenger. The most compelling reason to vote is to change things, so low turnout usually helps the challenger. People who don't want to vote are usually content with the status quo and those who actively support the incumbent often assume he will stay in and are easily influenced to just stay home and avoid the hassle.
    But if, by some strange occurrence no one voted, I think they'd have to reschedule it, but I don't think they would get new candidates.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I vote for a voice in my representation. I vote because it's the right thing to do. I vote because it would be moronic to complain about gov. If I didnlt.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i vote b/c i feel like its my civic duty. and i believe that if you dont vote, you have no right to complain about the way things are (to me anyways haha).

if no one voted then the electoral college would just vote how they wanted (which im sure some do anyways) instead of voting for what their area wants.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• When a person votes, it's very often not so much FOR one candidate as AGAINST the other candidate. If there was supposed to be an election, the only way you could get no one to come would be if EVERYBODY was totally, 100% satisfied with the person currently in office. How often is that going to happen in America?
    Anonymous