Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no child support what should we do?

my daughters ex-boyfriend was supposed to start paying support in October, he was only asked to pay the minumum which is just over 250 a month. she has only received 300 dollars so far. she went back to court recently to make him start paying more.she got a letter from the court saying since he does not have his highschool diploma or his GED his support has been lowered to 50 dollars a month. my daughter cannot afford a lawyer so she is trying to fight this on her own, she is having a hard time. please give me some advice . this is so rediculous how can men get away with not paying because says he can not find a job. he has had alot of jobs even though he does not have his high school diploma or GED he always has is mariguana but he can not help support his son. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer Question

Asked by hcashe216 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • does your dd have a job, i know it's sad that the baby's daddy isn't helping out, but howa bout trying to teach you daughter not to depends on everyone else to raise her child

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • Does your DD know if her ex has a job. If he does have a job, see if she can get something from his boss saying he works there and how much he makes an hour, and how many hours he works. I'm going through the same issue with my sons dad.

    Answer by vgiron at 10:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • I am so sorry and feel for her. I have 50/50 joint custody of my boys with their father and pay the asshole child support. He just bought a $400,000 dollar house and an Eddie Baure Ford Expedition. He walked into court and told the judge he is a working bumb and wants money from me. He is self employed and can show he makes no money cause he can hide the 'cash" deals he makes.
    Tell her to go through the states Support Registry. The will garnish his wages on any job he has.
    Good luck to her!!

    Answer by kscmbz at 10:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • Tell your DD to go to the PA office.They will make him pay..

    He sounds like a dead beat dad..I had two men like that..(I never received child support)..

    It would have been nice to have the extra money every month..But sense they were not reliable,,I  got use to financially raising my DD's on my own..To me if the dad does not pay child support he has no right to the child.

    I will say this..Stop trying to get blood out of a rock..But when he comes around and want to see his kid..Hand him a peace of paper with how much child support he owes..And say pay this amount now ,,you can see your child.


    Answer by louise2 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • my daughter has a hard time sticking up for her self. she is afraid of him and his parents. she does not want them mad at her because they will make her life a living hell, we have all been fighting with them. they beat up my 17 year old because he went to help my daughter move when they broke up. they are very hard to deal with. she still lets her son go for his visits. she is laidoff right know but is trying to find a job. she has had several interviews with Avon plant in Ohio. she is supporting her son and she is doing a very good job. he is not even trying to find a job he is just plain laaaaazzzzyyyy!!!!!!

    Answer by hcashe216 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

  • The court let mine pay $50 a month for THREE kids so I know how that is. My baby is 31 and I'm just now getting the money!

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • I did all the court stuff myself as well. Get the State Attny to handle the collection of child support. Keep all the information handy and the minute he gets a new job have her report it to them. If he manages to keep a job for any length of time, then she can request a "raise" in child support. This can only be requested periodically so don't waste a request until you know if he is keeping the job. They will raise it based on his income. My ex never kept a job for very long and my daughter is 18 now. By going through the state for collection, we were able to get an entire tax refund check he had applied for. . . once. After that one time, he never filed taxes again! Someday, I will get the 15 or so years of back child support he owes. Being patient is the key.

    At this point in time, your daughter will just have to plan her life as a single parent with no additional income. Its not easy but its necessary.

    Answer by MysteryVamp at 7:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • Okay, the pay for play advice SUCKS. DO NOT do this. It is illegal and can really backfire on her. Advice, always budget/plan for no CS. 2nd.-- So that means he went in for modification, why was she not notified. 2 -- use the states calculator to kinda get a general idea of the correct amount 3. Look up the jobs he's had and has and how much he generally can/has/is making. Even without a GED he can still be making a pretty good amt.
    After she gathers all the info she can she should go and present her case to the CSE office and ask them why it was change in this way etc.etc.
    I know its hard (mine's in for about 15 k so far) but the best is to never actually plan on having the money so that way its a nice extra when you get it.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • was your daughter dating my kids donor??? they sound almost identical except my daughters donor refused to work and hasnt paid support in 15 yrs...he only has to pay the $50 a month too. the last time he went to court the judge told him there was no reason he couldnt pay it wouldnt listen to any more excuses said to him he was putting him in jail and the bastard actually said to the judge its ok I wont be in there long my mom will come bail me out...and the bitch did too.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

  • there are some free legal aid places she could go to for help on getting him to pay.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.