pagan rituals

i was watching the discovry channel last night & there were some pagains on there doing a ritual and everyone was naked, is this the standard? standing in a circle naked to get blessings from the moon?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well that's about the dumbest shit i've ever heard
    Anonymous

• Skyclad is often practiced by many Pagans but it is not standard.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• what's the poin in being naked?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I've been told Skyclad is also practiced during many Wiccan rituals as well.

Maybe it brings them closer to nature?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Skyclad alows us to become "one" with nature because we are in our most natural form. In the summer I do my rituals Skyclad but in the winter it's way to cold. Many covens do their rituals that way but others do not. Many witches belive that clothing restricts their energy as well as movements and so they choose to work this way. It's not what I would call "standard" unless you belong to a coven that only works this way. As a solitary it's up to you, in a coven it's a group disition. With in a coven's also go skyclad for the simple reason that it leaves the belongings of the outside world outside the ritual space and it also emphasizes that everyone is equil... Like a uniform...

There is nothing sexual about nudity in itself, but this is where most of the "Pagan Orgy" stories have come from. The practice of nudity during rituals dates back further than we can know. It's easy to see how someone could missinterprit.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• no it's not necessary, but it's used as a form of "grounding" if you will. basically you are being one with nature by being as naked as your equals, the animals and nature..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• so true sabrina
    xxhazeldovexx

• I believe that skyclad rituals are more prevalent in England where there are more "traditional" Wiccan covens, though I can only base that on a few books and conversations with a handful of British Pagans, so I can't say if that it really "standard" there or not. But that is the impression I was given.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• From "The Charge Of The Goddess":

"Ye who tread my round on Sabbat night;

Come all ye naked to the rite

In token that ye be truly free."

It is traditional, but by no means required in all, nor even most covens, and naturally, solitaries can please themselves. Don't believe most of what you see on TV--they NEVER get it right.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I'm Pagan and it's not part of my rituals at all. I understand the reasoning behind others doing it (Sabrina explained it well) it's just not part of my path. There are an awful lot of different "kinds" of Pagans, and the beliefs and practices of one group certainly aren't the beliefs and practices of all Pagans. Among the Pagans that I know, it's not the norm.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009