Any suggestions on how to make babies sleep longer in the morning? My 11 month old is an early riser, waking up sometimes before 5. He used to sleep until 6 which was great. Any ideas?

sebmama

Asked by sebmama at 10:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what time does he go to bed at. My son falls asleep around 11pm and usually sleeps till 8 or 9 sometimes he sleeps till 11. You could try shorter naps during the day, or putting him to bed a little later.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 10:13 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• He goes to sleep between 7:30-8:00 and still naps twice a day, 1-2 hours at a time. We moved in April so at first I thought the early waking up was an adjustment to that. We are going to try room darkening shades. I hope once he's a year and changes to one nap a day that he will sleep longer in the morning. Sometimes he does sleep a little bit later, every morning is different. Yesterday he slept until 5:40 which was fine, like I said I would be happy with 6.
    sebmama

Answer by sebmama at 10:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The shades may help, Maybe try putting him to bed at 8:15-8:30. Since he is still young, his body may not of fully adjusted to the time difference. Or try shortening his seconed nap by 15-30mins. My sons 9months and only naps once a day some days he doesn't nap at all.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 10:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think black out shades or cardboard over the window would help. I don't think putting him to bed later will work and it will make your live more difficult. Try the shades first.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I wished I had some great advice but a few of mine have always been early risers, and nothing changed that. It doesn't matter what time I put them to bed, they are up early.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:46 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My oldest was an early riser and it seems my youngest will be too. There is nothing you can do about it. In my experience it doesn't matter when you put them to bed. If you put your baby to bed later, all you might get it just a cranky baby the next day, that's what happens in my house, anyway.
    My only advice would be to just get up and enjoy the day with your baby.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thanks everyone for your responses. He is an early riser but I can live with it. He sleeps through the night and doesn't resist naps. This morning he slept later and then entertained himself in his crib until almost 6. I appreciate the fact that he enjoys sleeping and wants to rest when he's tired.
    sebmama

Answer by sebmama at 10:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2009