refusing formula

my son is almost 7 months old. he normally drinks 24 oz of formula a day, plus baby food. over the last few weeks he has been only taking 15 - 20 oz of formula, and he fights taking that much. What should I do. I have tried putting it in his sippy, but he gets this awful look on his face when he drinks it. I haven't given him more than normal amounts of baby food either. Is it okay to reduce his formula intake this early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it all depends on the baby, so maybe it is time for him. My son didn't drink formula at all after 9 months, we just couldn't get him to.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• *I would keep offering it but I would not force him-maybe he is teething?
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• He could of been going through a growth spurt at the time. He'll eat as much as he needs. As long as he's gaining wieght i wouldn't worry. My son completely refused to drink formual, so i asked his dr if i could put him on fresh milk, and he said ok (that was after trying 5-6 different formuas) Maybe try a different formua, something more advanced. Some times the taste of the ones for the older kids will be more of what he's wanting.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 10:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• NO its not safe to reduce his formula intake this early, formula has tons more nutrition than any solids and for sure cows milk as mentioned above, in fact children whoa re given cows milk before a year old tend to become anemic and have growth and development problems from malnourishment. Formula or BM is the MAIN source of nutrition til 12 months of age, if this means cutting down solids then do it. He NEEDS formulas nutrition, there no other way to make up for it
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009