how do I get my 15 month old to stop throwing tantrums?

I have a 15 month old daughter and latley she has been throwing alot of tantrums and I dont know how to handle it. I was just wondering what some of you may have done.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give her attention. I think the best thing for tantrums is to ignore it. They are trying to get a rise out of you and if you give them attention, then they are getting what they want. Sometimes my 15 mo old will get a 1 min time-out in his room for throwing a big tantrum but mostly I just ignore him. lol.
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 5:28 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Make sure she is safe. Walk away (stay within site or earsite) let her do it, do not give in. She will stop doing it before you know. I have three boys and understand sister!
    mamacita66

Answer by mamacita66 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The child is old enough to know what candy and potato chips are right? Don't give her any until she stops doing that and explain why.
    tellis

Answer by tellis at 7:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Don't give into her. She wants attention, that's why she's doing it. Don't let her think it's cute or funny or sweet. Spank her little hiney when she throws a fit, tell her it's not funny and it's not cute and you're not impressed and show her you mean business. Don't let her rule the roost. Even at 15 months she knows what she's doing and don't think for a second that she doesn't!!
    Anonymous

• Redirect her to something else. Play with her, make her laugh.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It's hard when they're 15 months old because they are trying to figure everything out and to test their limits. So, you've got to be firm with yours! If it happens, tell her "NO" and then I would immediately pick her up and put her in a playpen until she stops pitching the fit. Tell her that when she stops she can come out. You need to be very consistent in this because if you only do it sometimes she won't learn. You can leave a few toys in the playpen but don't add them when she's going in. After you put her in just keep reminding her when she's quiet she can come out and maybe you can read her a book or something. If you're out in public a swat to the legs or a pop on the mouth can work. It has to be hard enough to get her attention but not too hard. Never swat her when you're angry. Don't lose your cool with her talk to her in a firm but calm voice. This too will pass!
    jackimci

Answer by jackimci at 3:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2008