Mom's would you want your children to call a step-mom, mom or any form of mother?

My sister is my half sister, we have the same daddy different mamas. My sister has always called my mama "mom". My mama has been married to our daddy since my sister was 3, so I guess over the years it became normal to call her mom. My sister even calls my mama "mom" in front of her mom. Her mother doesn't seem to mind at all, and never has. I was just wondering what you moms out there think of your kids calling another woman mom. I think it would really bother me. I have told my husband before that if we ever get divorced or if I die and he gets remarried I would not be comfortable with our daughter calling another woman any form of mother. They can come up with a special name, and I would want my daughter to be close with and have respect for this woman if she ever did get a step-mother. I just don't like the thought of her calling someone else mom. Thankfully hubby and I are happy and I don't see us getting divorced.

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 11:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I fell exactly the same way "kframpton".

I am the person raising them, if i ever left them (on purpose, but i never would). Then yes fair enough i knew what i was doing and i didn't want them so they should have a mother figure in they're life.

But if me and my husband divorced or i passed away and my husband re-married then i would rather them call her by her name, not by the mom.
    MummyMiller

Answer by MummyMiller at 12:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• No......!

Just say her name is Debbie. My kids would call her DEBBIE.
    I'm had my kids and raised them... not her!!

-Kerri
    32 weeks/5 days
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 11:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't think it would bother me so much. When I was growing up, I called all my friends parents, Mom and Dad. I effectively had like five sets of parents. I think it's best to let the child take the lead, and decide what they are comfortable with.

I have a step-son, he is about to turn 13, but I have been with his dad since he was 2. He has always called me by my name, but sometimes, he slips and calls me mom. (this happens a lot more now that hubby and I have our own kids who call me mommy). I have always told him he can address me however he wants, so long as he does it respectfully.

On the other side, my husband hates the fact that he calls his step-dad, Dad. That was the only thing he asked his ex-wife not to allow, and it was the first thing she did when she moved in with this guy. And it was intentional. It wasn't like ss wanted to call him that, it was because that was how they forced him to address him.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I raise my SS and they call me mom.. I didn't ask them too, they started on there own and I didn't make them stop. There BM is also not stable in there life and we have them full custody, so I AM mom to them
    mommytothree07

Answer by mommytothree07 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• NO!! i would have a fit. I carried my children for 9 months, gave birth and raised them, they have one mom, but as far as them calling their close friends parents mom and dad, i did that but to call a step parent mom or dad no i do not think it is right
    DKA1128

Answer by DKA1128 at 12:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• mommytothree07-- that is different you are mommy, if the BM isn't there thats her fault. I am talking about when the BM is still around and very active in their kids lives.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• no there my kids not hers
    momatonly16

Answer by momatonly16 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I would hope that if my children were to ever have a step mother that she would love them enough and be so wonderful to them that they would want to call her some form of "mom" They could just use the first letter of her first name and call her "Mama D" I would be fine with something like that.
    MamaLori

Answer by MamaLori at 1:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yes it would bother me. The word Mom is very special and has a lot of meaning to me. I wouldn't want my son to just call ANYONE Mom. If my fiance and I ever get divorced or if something happened to me, God forbid, I would not want my son calling anyone else Mom. It's not that I would want him to be disrespectful to the new woman or rude, but Mom is my special name, and he can find something else to call her. I have a half brother and sister and they never called my Mom, Mom. They always called her Joan or Joanie Baloney.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I am a stepmom and my DS calls me Mom. ...his BM doesnt like it much ...but his BM hasnt called in 5 months. ...so, i'm not gonna let anyone tell me that MY son cant call me MOM because that other lady gave birth to him.
    My mom once told me that if she ever died that she would be okay with my little brother calling me mom. ...well, in April my mom died. and my little brother asked if he can call me mom. I told him he can call me whatever he wants. More often then not he still calls me by my nickname. But sometimes he calls me mom.

To each their own. Every family is different. But i would be heartbroken if anyone tried to tell me that my boys should not call me Mom. ...Because in all reality that is exactly what i am.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009