Great news regarding the abortion debate....

I just read in the Denver Post that the current leader of Focus on the Family, Jim Daly is taking a different approach on the abortion debate. He said "When those on the left, right and center all say, "lets make abortion rare" lets meet at that starting point. Let's shove off rhetoric and get together on practical matters" This is an amazing first step for a group that had previously been very extreme in its views on abortion. What do yo think, can everyone work together to make abortion rare?

teampalmer4

Asked by teampalmer4 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do understand that both sides have extremists, lol, but I do know that fighting isn't going to solve anything, and I'm more than willing to admit that the pro-life side has a worse rap at its extremism. (I mean, bombing clinics, shooting people, what kind of ironic, hypocritical message about our stance on life does that send?) I do know, however, that we're all likely to agree that the less abortions we see the better. (pro choice isn't pro abortion) So, instead of trying to FORCE people to not have them, we should work together on trying to give people other options, in reducing the number of pregnancies, and so forth.

This makes more sense than anything I've heard in any abortion debate. Let's work together to cut down the number of unwanted pregnancies and to support mothers and families. Until we do that, no amount of rhetoric is going to make a difference.

DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 5:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• abortion is murder, its life regardless of how small it is

when your pregnant there is a life inside you so you abort it your killing it.

yes i think we should work to make abortion against the law not just rare.
    Anonymous

• I think that's awesome except there are way too many exremists on the anti choice side that will not be ok with this.
    Anonymous

• Oh if only the world could embrace birth control.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Focus on the Family is the largest Christian ministry in the country. Previously they were extreme in their views on abortion so with their leader saying, lets start some place where we can all agree is a huge step. I agree, birth control, education, ect... its all part of it and I think maybe saying lets make it rare will bring all those options in to the conversation instead of it being so black and white.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think this is an amazing steps. I have never had an abortion & consider myself pro-life but I would never vote to make abortion illegal or judge someone who did make that choice. I think if both sides could come together & work together, maybe things would change. I think the idea of making abortion rare would be a great starting point. To me, that means more education & better access to all forms of birth control & I think something like that could really make a difference.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

i think your right.. and i think that teens should know about all of their birth control options i think that is part of the problem.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• thats awesome. im so glad that someone realizes we have to work together. i just hope many follow in suit.
    allybot

Answer by allybot at 1:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i think its great that the extreme side is taking measures toward working together. as long as pro life/pro choice keep butting heads nothing productive will come of it. i'm pro choice but i'm anti abortion so i think taking steps to reduce the number of abortions is a great thing while still not taking away the right the choose.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 1:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Mmmm. . . I find this odd, slightly troubling, and yet slightly encouraging. Troubling because the church falling away from the word of God is yet another sign of the end times. Encouraging because the two sides haven't ever really spoken- and there is a lot to be said for communication. Outside of yelling at each other and blowing things up, what conversation has there been? Huh. I?d like to see what comes out of this before I pass judgement.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009