Autism caused by vaccines?

I am wondering what other people think about this. I have read things that say autism is linked to vaccines, and I have read things that say differently. I have 2 kids and 1 on the way. To be honest I am worried about them getting up to date on their shots. Neither of them are up to date, and I am wondering if I am even going to let my new baby when it gets here be vaccinated. I love my kids, and I have their best interest in mind, but I am so worried that the vaccines may cause autism. To my knowledge, there is no autism in my family, or my husbands. Autism would be such a sad, heartbreaking and tragic thing to deal with. I need help.

HungryForTruth

Asked by HungryForTruth at 12:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• From what I understand it effects boys 5xs more than girls, which strongly suggest that it is a genetic disorder. We still do not understand what causes autism.
    Anonymous

• Vaccines do not cause autism....I would suggest reading the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears so you don't get any misinformation on this website.....The benefits FAR outweigh the risks...
    Anonymous

• There is no 100% proof either way. You will hear from people adamant on both sides of the issue. I am in the middle- I vaccinate my kids and here is why: we have no major health issues in my family so I feel pretty good that they are not at risk for side effects, we live in a metropolitan area where they would be exposed to many who were not born here and may not be vaccinated and therefore are a risk, we travel quite a bit so I want them protected, and of course there are other reasons too.... point being-take a look at your life and where your live- does it make sense to vaccinate your kids? There is a new school of thought I like as well (it was common 10 years ago when my youngest was born) but many are opting to do some vaccinations and space them further apart- to me that makes good sense and is some where in the middle.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Oh it ain't all that bad. I have three with autism.One that's not. All vaccinated. My personal opinion is the vaccine in and of itself does not cause autism. If it did, there would be several more cases amoung older people. My mom vaccinated me and I am not autistic. Did your mom vaccinate you?? I do think it may trigger it off if you are predisposed to it anyway. However if you don't vaccinate look at the risks of the full blown disease if they get it. I suspect they all will make a comeback because more and more people are afraid to protect their kids with a vaccine. I don't care what your personal choice is and I won't debate it. I see no evidence linking vaccines to autism. For every article written that it does there's another that it doesn't. This is why autism is a puzzle. We just don't know what causes it. Ultimately the choice is yours. And prepare this post for a lengthy debate. It's coming.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have prepared for a lengthy debate,lol. I'm not saying autism is linked to vaccines. I just figured that this is a perfect place to get opinions and discuss it.
    HungryForTruth

Answer by HungryForTruth at 1:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Oops, I meant to say it was "NOT common 10 years ago when my youngest was born".... talking about selecting and delaying....
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My oldest has Autism. It is my personal belief that vaccines DID NOT cause his Autism. If you are worried I suggest you talk to your pediatrician and find out more information. As for vaccinating your children you can ask them to space out the vaccines and give them separately (meaning child is due for 3 vaccines- do them 1 at a time at different appointments).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The scientific evidence does not support the idea that vaccines cause autism at all.  I tend to make medical decisions based on scientific evidence rather than anacedotes from others.

I think the article "A Broken Trust: Lessons from the Vaccine–Autism Wars" is very interesting. It discusses how researchers long ago rejected the hypothesis that vaccines cause autism, yet many parents don't believe them. So she examines how scientists could bridge the gap between evidence and doubt.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 4:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• All good research I have found says there is no link to vaccines and autism.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My oldest has autism as well, and he was fine until his 4 month shots when he spiked a fever, and when it came down he was no longer the normal healthy happy baby he had been. You couldn't touch him. He didn't speak until after age 3, and wouldn't make eye contact (almost 12 now and minimal eye contact). His doctor confirmed that day it was something with the shots. My second child. 6 month shots (we thought it was a one child thing). Fever (not so high) light delays now. I quit. My kids are obviously sensitive to them. Child number 3 is now 18 months non vaxxed, and never had a cold even. I don't say this is true of all children because I know of some having autistic characteristics at birth, but this is my own personal experience.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009