1 year old is whiney, is this a phase or do I need to be concearned

My son turned 1 at the begining of june, but here recently he does this whiney cry thing, he isnt hurt or hungry I think he is just cranky, My dh says I need to be concearned but I think ds is just doing it because he wants attention. YES He gets lots and I mean lots of attention, but when i get up to do dishes or fold laundry something that must be done, he begins to whine, I have tried to just ignore it he does stop whining, but hubs says that is mean......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• twentyfive years later (my oldest just turned 25) there's still whining!!!! lol - your baby's learning his voice, learning you come and go and turn away from him and that he's happier when your with him. It's all normal. Try to have hubby take over for your every day to give your self you time. Baby will do this no lie for a long time to come. If he's sick or even constipated or teething bad mostlikely there will be physical signs other than just crying. I found a lot of comfort in wearing earplugs - they decreased my kids loud voice and get things at a nice low rumble for me but I could still hear everything even talk on the phone. There are some out now that are shaped somewhat triangular that stay very very well in the ear canal.

Can you go to any playgroups with him? Have a relative give you a break during the day sometimes. When he's older in his threes local libraries have great free activities and bookstores to.
    Anonymous

• Yes, he will whine to get attention (he has probably figured out already that it works!!). But remember that whining is a form of low level crying so you do need to make sure that nothing is wrong in his little world. He could be bored or uncomfortable. Even if he gets lot of attention, it might not be stimulating enough for him. He is growing & developing & needs to start enjoying the world around him. Take him out in the stroller or find a playgroup. My DD would, believe it or not, get very upset if her clothing was itchy or her socks were wrinkled. She was very touch sensitive. When you do chores, make a game out of it. Put him in his highchair in the kitchen while you do dishes. Pop your head out of the laundry room & play peek a boo. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• they do it becouse its a new noise also,my lil one wont let me do dishes at all,she pushes on me,and she is strong too.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yup, ignoring a 1 yo. is mean.
    Anonymous

• Maybe he is moving from crying (like a baby) to whining to communicate his needs. My one-year-old does the same thing, I get him what he needs right away and he's mostly stopped doing it.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009