What's a good way to get protein in your kid?

My toddler is not a big meat eater. He eats some but then spits it out when he thinks he's had enough. It's frustrating.

1. How do you keep them from spitting their food out?

2. What are other good sources of protein besides meat and peanut butter?

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 1:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Milk, yogurt, cheese, beans, tofu, eggs, and peanut butter are all good sources of protien. You can try shredding up some chicken, turkey, or beef really small and hiding it in other foods (like in a sauce or under some cheese), etc.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Milk, dairy products including cheese, yogurt. Beans, eggs. Grains, such as noodles and rice also have incomplete protein, if you combine them with a little cheese, milk, etc, the meal becomes complete.

Answer by Bmat at 2:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Beans/legumes and grain together make a complete protein that's the same quality protein as meat. Eggs, and dairy products have a lot of protein, too.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My daughter was a very picky eater at that age. She's only eat fruit and veggies. If I was lucky to get any meat into her it was processed junk. I started giving her the ensure drinks they make for kids. Lots of vitamins and minerals in there. And she loved the taste.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "Milk, yogurt, cheese, beans, tofu, eggs, and peanut butter are all good sources of protien. You can try shredding up some chicken, turkey, or beef really small and hiding it in other foods (like in a sauce or under some cheese), etc."

What she said. ^_^

Also, you can try the Ensure drinks that Salem mentioned. I prefer not to eat meat or drink cows milk myself, so I drink a lot of soy milk, usually the Silk 'Very Vanilla'. It's really high in calcium (more than the milk DF gets) and has really good amounts of protein, and other things that milk doesn't even have.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Oh, and another upside to the soy milk, especially if you give your little one the vanilla, very vanilla, or chocolate, is that kids usually love it! The ones that I mentioned are thick and creamy, and remind me more of a melting milk shake than anything else. And it's WONDERFUL with cereal, oatmeal, etc. :)
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Chances are your child is getting enough protien from other foods. I honestly wouldnt worry too much about it. My older DS does not like a lot of meat either.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My 17 month old does not like meat either-I think it is normal at these young ages. He does liek Bison though but nothing else. I dont worry about it b/c he eats other foods rich in protein and every month I try it again but I dont force it.

here is a site that will help. Below the meat is other items like people above said plus a couple others...

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my nephew is the same way so we give him yogort / fruit they both have alot of vitamins in them....also you can try cheese ,and stuff that basicly has to do w/ dairy
    eagleangels

Answer by eagleangels at 10:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• to keep them from spittn; you need to find out what he/she likes more than other things and try givin' them stuff that they like.
    eagleangels

Answer by eagleangels at 10:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2009