Nudity and Sex...spinoff question from another post..What do you think?

I was reading the post about doing ritual skyclad(nude). I was wondering how many people feel that sex is only for procreation where others feel that sex is more of a spiritual unity. I'm posting the link to this article, which I thought this writer made some valid points about sex.

I just had a brief discussion with my son about nudity in movies. I told him I don't think a "gratuitous boob shot" for the purpose of ratings isn't a bad thing for him to see. Because i told him "the naked body is a beautiful thing, and as such should be seen as a part of Nature vs. a sexual thing. We weren't born with clothes, so why should we have to cover ourselves when you get down to it. Trees aren't covered, animals are naked. So why must we, as another beautiful gift from the Goddess clothe ourselves? Just a thought.

Also, why can't sex be seen as a unifying spiritual experience vs. a dirty, evil thing? Your thoughts? (cont...w/ link)

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 1:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a pagan Pagan, I would hope you would see the human body as beautiful and understand that doing rituals in the nude is NOT SEXUAL! As a Christian, you should know that Adam and Eve were created and lived nude. They only put clothing on to hide themselves from God. Being naked can be a sexual thing, but it's not always. It's natural. And just because you are nude doesn't mean that you are in a "sexual" position. I think that's the difference. Nudity in and of itself is beautiful, but as a culture we equate everything nude with sex. That just isn't the case. African women never wear shirts, there are tribes there where the men only wear a bamboo shoot on their penis, neither is sexual, even though it's nudity. Then there are the ancients. Look at the statue of David. There's a penis, but it's not sexual, in fact most children see it in Art Class. The point is it's what you do with the nudity that counts not the nudity itself.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usil&c=words&id=12993

Also, i'm talking free will sex here.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree with you, nudity vs. sexual nudity are two completely separate things. I also think that sex is sex, and it shouldn't only be for procreation. I would be one completely unhappy person if my fiance and I only had sex when we wanted to procreate! That means we would've had sex only once in order to produce my daughter, aaaack!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Call me a prude, but I think nudity is for the bedroom. I don't go around exposing myself to random men, and I wouldn't appreciate other women exposing themselves to my husband. I generally avoid movies that have gratuitous sex/nudity. I don't understand why anyone would subject themselves to that... the lust of the flesh. It's not for me personally.
    Anonymous

• I don't see sex as an evil or dirty thing at all. I also don't see it just for procreation either. Sex is a natural thing. ALL animals have some form of sex. It feels good for a reason. I don't think God would have given us the "parts" to make sex enjoyable if he only wanted it to be used for procreation. Now I do think sex is a special thing that shouldn't just be done with any random person on a whim, but if you find someone special you want to have sex with and you love and trust that person, than why not have sex?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think sex is usually seen as a dirty and evil thing because that is how our society has made it to be perceived. With all the hardcore porn that goes around, and horrible things we hear, we are kind of made to think its evil. When its not at all. I mean, sex is the reason why we are all here! Sex brought our children into the world, brought us into the world, come on something has to give. Sex is a unifying experience, especially with the one you love. There is probably no greater intimate connection you can have with your SO, than making love/having sex. It should be something celebrated instead of looked down upon and hushed hushed. I honestly wish America as a society was more open to it, because its a part of nature. Its life. Idk if I made any sense but thats my answer lol.
    lynmarie813

Answer by lynmarie813 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I hate the people that think breastfeeding in public is gross because of the so-called 'nudity' involved. The western culture has sexualized breasts, and I think it's sad. I'm not even a breastfeeder, but even I know that breasts shouldn't be seen as a sexual object!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The depth of nudity in our society for centuries has been for amusement, abuse, and reproducing.
    I wish there weren't so much exploitation of women as there is in print and tv, movies but there's tons and there's nothing any one can do about it. When my son was three he told me we were in the sexy part of the store when we were in the make up section - this from just tv commercials for women's makeup which has been with sexual innuendos for ever.

You just gotta keep reminding kids as they grow that commercialism sells, and respect does not in print and otherwise. But in real life practice, respect to others brings selfrespect to all for longer lengths of times.
    Anonymous

• But there's a difference between sexual nudity and natural nudity, anon. Like the OP said, you come into this world naked. Your mother and father have seen you naked hundreds of times. That certainly isn't sexual nudity, right? What about nudist colonies? They aren't sick or perverted, they don't go around having sex all the time. The men don't walk around with erections because of all the naked women. They just feel more comfortable being in the nude. I see nothing wrong with that. But hey! Whatever floats your boat, I say.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I remember being at a bbq at my cousins house. I was breastfeeding my son(covered mind you) and my mom told me to go inside because there were men(relatives) there. I think she may have been more uncomfortable about it than they probably were(if they were). how sad is it when you have to be forced inside because your doing the most natural thing. Not to mention, some of my cousins actually watched me when I was younger. I was so upset about that, it still bothers me to this day.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009