This might be a stupid question ...Pagans,

Harm ye none.
So what about tattoos and piercings? are those something that is ...um "against your religion" or looked down on in any way. It does harm, doesnt it? I'm just curious as to how this rule works.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Early Pagans found adornments of all types as beautiful, sacred & inspirational.

Peircings, tattoo's have been found on mummies, neolithic cavemen, ect. Even today in many cutltures it is widely practiced.

Therefore, there isnt any harm in this practice & never has been.
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 2:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Those arent things that are considered wrong that Ive ever heard or read,etc.

Thats personal choice and many find them to be more like artwork then harmful. Technically it might hurt having it done but really Harm None is more about things like stealing, hurting another person by lying about them or whatnot.

Thats how I feel about it anyway. If it doesnt really harm you(like I didnt find getting a tattoo painful) then it wouldnt really fall under that part of the Rede.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't necessarily follow the Rede (I'm not Wiccan) but I do believe in nonharming and the principle is the same. Piercings or tattoos aren't considered to be harming by most (any? LOL) Pagans. They are considered decorative, a personal choice, and not harmful. Piercing someone else without their consent or full knowledge is harming, because it violates their personal autonomy. You can modify your own body in complete freedom as long as you are being safe about it and doing it doesn't cause harm to others.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• tattoo actually started with Paganism.. the Druids.. it was seen as a great honor to have.. it was viewed as honorable, and a great artform..
    so no.. I doubt it would fit under the "harm" catagory. I will try to find a link, so you can learn mroe.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Harm none appies to doing something that is against someone's desire. Pain & even permanent altering of the body are not necessarily harm. Some even make a ritual of the application that embraces the discomfort.

edited to add; Also, not all Pagans follow "harm none" that is one of the reasons I reject the term Wiccan for myself.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• http://www.thetattoocollection.com/history_of_tattoos.htm

the history of tattoos.. it went back farther than I thought lol.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "Hurt" or "temporary pain or discomfort" is different from "harm". If you take this to the extreme, you could apply this to an antibiotic injection, because it "hurts" but it does not "harm." In fact to withhold it when needed is the "harm". A tattoo or piercing is a temporary discomfort, but considered highly desirable in many cultures, for reasons ranging from personal decoration to the announcement of having passed some test as a rite of passage, or "Coming of Age".
    Anonymous

• I would have to agree with all of these. Tattooing was originally used as a sign of stature withing the Druid Priesthood. Other faiths throughout Africa and eventually S.America and even Hawaii caught on and used tattooing as a form of symbolism. It was considered a holy rite and consisted of an entire ritual. It wasn't used for personal decoration the way it is now. Same goes for piercings. Today they are still used this way in some cultures and among some religious sects.

As for does it violate the "harm none" rule I would have to say no. You are electively putting yourself in physical pain but not actually causeing "harm" Your intent is not negative and it's not aimed at anyone but yourself. So, no, I don't see how it could break that rule. I don't see how this could bring bad Karma in any way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• that too anon 3:05..
    the only religious point of view against tattooing is monotheist who see placing art on the body as a sin (note: not all denominations)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Jehovah's Witnesses aren't real big on it either... While they don't condone it althogether (or most don't that I know of) they teach that the body is a temple and should be treated as such.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2009