what did i create?!

my son is 6wks n hes so clingy to me! I cant do nething if im not holdn him. I can get him to bounce or swing, but for short periods then he wants ME to hold him. Even if my hubby holds him he usually cries till i take him then the min i do he stops. Its like i cant even get a break durn the day to do nething without him. O n i have 2sleep w him or he wont sleep, so ive been on the couch for 6wks now. I love him & im glad he loves me but is it always going to be like this?! How can i get him to be content with someone else holding him or just hanging out by himself?! Help plz before i make it worse!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it will pass! he is going through a big change! up until he was born you were the only one that ever held him... he is used to you, everything else is new and different. before you know it he will be so busy playing you will want him to be cuddly again!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• He's still young! Some babies are just more comfy on mommy all the time... I'd just go with it. You can get a comfortable sling or baby carrier to make him more mobile, or try a swing to see if he likes motion. It's not anything you've done -- it's what babies are like! It can be hard, and if there's something you really need to do without him, don't feel guilty if he cries with his dad. It will get easier. As he becomes more comfortable in his body, more aware of his surroundings, able to do more, he won't be clinging to you like this. Just go with it, as much as you are able. Take a minute to breathe and step outside for a minute, you're definitely entitled, but don't worry about spoiling him either -- you can't spoil a newborn.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My second was like that. I recommend getting a sling or a wrap, then you can actually do stuff.

I was not able to put my little one down for more than 15 minutes for her first about 6 months of life. It was tough, but now, she is the most independent little thing you've ever seen at 21 months of age.

It just takes time and as the pp mentioned, if you have had just way to much and you need a few minutes, don't feel bad if you put him down where he is completely safe and go to a place where you can't hear him for a good 5-10 minutes. It can help you feel better.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 3:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You created a standard issue baby. This is what they do at this stage.

Soon enough will come the time when he ignores you. So relax. All is well.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You created a wonderful, beautiful baby that is doing what nature expects them to do! Hold that baby whenever he needs held. Get a sling or wrap and use that so you can get things done. if you absolutely cannot handle it then give him to someone else and walk away for a few minutes so you don't hurt that baby though!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I assure you, It won't always be like this ;) He may just be a demanding little guy who knows who and what he wants.
    Talk w/your pediatrician about this. Be sure if you have any questions about it being his health to let him know and check it out. I know that every stage of our kids lives just seem like they will last forever,especially when they are babies and youre so tired and wainting a moment to take a shower and get a nap(or even just to rest your arms). I promise that won't last forever.
    My guys are 9 and 5 and I still wonder what in the world Ive done??! Some days. You'll get through this;)
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 7:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You created a normal baby who knows how to tell his mom that he need to feel loved and secure. Someday you will miss this...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• That's what my DD was like for 8 wks. I wanted to go insane. She wouldn't sleep, nap, do anything unless i was holding her. I got a wrap and wore her all the time. All the pics. of her from that time are of her in a wrap b/c she would not tolerate anything else. It'll pass, trust me. In a couple weeks, he'll get a lot better. They are so little and new at that stage that they really need you, but it will be over soon. I know how you feel and it sucks, but he'll get better.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:20 PM on Jun. 15, 2009