so poop jail is basically locking your child in the bathroom until he poops?

natnatsmom09

Asked by natnatsmom09 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have never heard of such a thing. But we will sit my 2 1/2 yr old on the potty for about 10 minutes and not let him down until he poops. It seems he either goes right away or he needs that time to relax and it finally comes out. And we only do that after running to the bathroom 10 times in 30 minutes with nothing coming out. That is his sign that he has to poop.
    Anonymous

• thats mean! who does that?
    4lyfe56

Answer by 4lyfe56 at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have read the article on it and it makes sense, pulling the authority from the doctor and telling the kid the doctor said he can't come out until he goes potty with little explanation, then smile and walk away after telling them to call you when they're done.....but I would think a very stubborn child would think badly of the doctor then and do you really want to do that??? I think you have to figure out for your own child what works, try it but if it's aggrivating you more and more for a week or more then try something else! If you're gonna do it be consistant for a good week before switching to something else. If it's something you're gonna do give it time to work. Remember, the less you say the better, that way they're not feeling like they have to 'defy' you. I have a stubborn daughter so I know all about control issues with a child.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I've read the article too.
    It assumes that:
    (1) The child is 4 or over. This is not a primary means of potty training and should not be used for young toddlers or children just learning.
    (2) The child has been examined and there are no medical problems with pooping.

Now that the child is plenty old enough to fully understand using the potty and you know they are healthy - you know this is a battle of wills. It's up to you to figure out:
    (1) Do you want a battle at all? Or are you willing to keep your child in pullups until he decides he's done - even if that's 8 or 9 years old?
    (2) What methods work best when getting your child to do something he doesn't want to do? What works with your kid may not work with someone elses.
    (3) Will your child respond to the "such and such authority figure says we have to" trick? Parents use this all the time but not all kids respond.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My ex-sil used to potty train her kids by making them go sit on the potty because she thought they needed to go. I remember one time very vividly her making one of her daughters sit there until she went (pee or poop she didn't care) and not letting her off.

That poor girl was sitting there for TWO HOURS and screaming most of the time because her legs hurt from sitting there! The blood flow had been cut off to her legs and when ex-sil finally let her off (the poor girl had managed to squeeze out a few drops of pee) the girl couldn't even walk!

I didn't know then what I know now or I would have called CPS on that bitch.
    Anonymous

• I've made my oldest son sit on the pot before because I knew he had to go. As a 2 year old he with-held his poop so long that he was finally admitted to the hospital to have 4 enemas and some other laxatives. After going through that ordeal he was on Miralax for 3 years. I took him off the Miralax and made him to sit poop everyday--same time every day. He hated it but he needed to learn it was ok to poop and I wasn't about to go through that hell again!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have never heard of this. I have a 7y/o (nephew that I have guardianship of) that poops his pants because mommy dearest never PT him and he doesn't care if he sits in his own waste. I don't think I would feel comfortable doing this(he'd probably smear his waste all over the bathroom anyway). I can understand how it might work for some kids though.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 7:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It seems to me that it gives pooping a negative connotation. I can't imagine that this is psychologically beneficial

Answer by rkoloms at 9:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think that is just awful and could cause the child some serious problems down the road. I have found that the things that have worked for me in the past were Prunes (I called them super raisins) AKA dried plums. a warm compress on the belly (it helps to relax the child) and taking the child into the bathroom , having them sit on the potty and read a few books to them.

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2009