How can I get my 2 1/2 yr old to go potty???

He will pee in the potty when he wants to, but he has only pooped in it once. He knows what to do, and we constantly ask him if he wants to go potty and he wants go almost everytime. But he will sit there for a few nimutes and then get back off without doing anything. Then a little while later he'll tell us he 'd-d'ed, which means he either peed or pooped his diaper.... I am at a loss! My first son was a little easier than this and caught on pretty quick so I don't know what to do! I'm about a month and half away from having a newborn and I reallllly don't need double diaper duty!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

deanamfinley

Asked by deanamfinley at 3:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This might be a little nasty for a while, but don't put diapers on him. Buy regular underwear, or the ones with the thick padding in the middle especially used for potty training. Tell him there are big boy underwear. I know he is not a pet, but when he does go potty give him a little snack that he really likes. He will make himself go potty to get that snack. He would probabaly poop and pee in his underwear for a couple of days, but he will feel unconfortable when he does. Leave him wet or pooped for about 5 minutes so that he feels it more. Continue your normal routine of asking him if he has to go. I know this sounds like torture, but he will figure out that he feels yucky. Pee is really nothing, but try to figure out his pooping time. Some kids have a pooping schedule or time frame. Be patient cause all kids are different. I have a girl who barely needed training, but my son took forever to learn and this worked. Luck!
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Maybe he needs to make a game of it to get him to sit a little longer but something in the potty for him to aim at.
    fancey209

Answer by fancey209 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Dont buy the potty with music or make a game. He will just sit there to play the game. He won't consentrate on what he has to do.Don't sit there with him, but keep an eye on him or check up on him.
    NATI2124

Answer by NATI2124 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009