In response to my previous child support question.

How is child support figured? My baby's daddy told me I would never be able to get more child support because he shows a loss on filing his taxes every year. Or is it figured on his assets? If it's figured on assets, would every thing he has financed in his name be considered when figuring his child support?

Crissa

Asked by Crissa at 3:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• It is not on his assets. There is a formula that the state uses based on his and your income. They can use his taxes to get a general idea of his income.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yes it's his income, not assets. Assets only come into play during a divorce where they have to be divided up. Marriage is the only way you can have access to his assets. There is a calculator for child support online for almost all states (if not all). Just google Child Support Calculator and put in the name of your state. Oh, assets do come into play if you can prove he has them and is claiming he has no money to pay child support. Then they can force him to liquidate his assets and pay the Court ordered child support.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My child support agency sent me a letter a couple of weeks ago stating that they are going to increase the child support payments because her father's income has increase. They stay on his ass like white on rice. He told me to tell them to stop it because he is paying for her cellphone bill but what the hell am I suppose to tell them? He is an officer in the army so he can afford it.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009