Gardening question..about tomatoes and peaches

I got my first tomato plan a few weeks ago. How often should I give it tomato food? I already have 3 tomatoes on it...

Also I have saved a peach seed to plant.. can I put it in a pot with gardening soil or should I I sprout it first?

aimige

Asked by aimige at 3:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have container tomatoes and I put the food in when I plant and thats it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• mine are in a container.. I only got one to see if I kill it before getting more..I gave it food this morning but thats the only time I have given it..
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 3:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I Believe you have to sprout the seed first. We just had a company come out and prune our peach tree cause it was so big and over grown. He did a horrible job and the tree is dead now. it wont even grow leaves. Grrrr! that tree gave good fruit too
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have never used tomato food, just compost.

Plant basil, mint or another smelly herb between your tomato plants to keep harmful insects off.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If you have already pruchased a box of tom. food, it should give you directions. :) You pretty much broadcast it around the base of the plant, and then water the plant well. You can feed your tom. plants naturally by adding banana peels and also crushed egg shells. You can blend them up in a food processor or add them to the ground by digging the food source in around the plants.

Be sure and water your tom. plant often, never in the hottest part of the day, or it will scorch the leaves. Water in the mornings or cool evenings every day that it doesn't rain. Also, if you can catch rain water, that's best bc it won't have all the chemicals that city water has. :) Don't forget you'll need to stake the limbs as they get larger, otherwise they'll break off.

Lastly, pinch off "suckers" which are small sprouts that grow between two branches. Everyday or so look for them and pinch them off. :) Tom. are easy to grow.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I use Miracle Grow once a week and mine go crazy! Last year my container maters and cukes were over 5 feet tall and produced fruit well into Oct. I just get the all purpose Miracle Grow, not one specific for tomato growing. This way I can water my flower gardens as well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I didn't know you can grow cucumbers in containers..WOW! I am gonna go get some more tomatoes and some cucumbers this weekend. I fed my tomatoes on Sunday and now its twice the size it was. I have to get some tomatoes stakes this weekend also.
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 3:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009