Should I get a male or female kitten?

We're thinking we're going to get a kitten. The last cat we adopted came pregnant, and we gave her kitties away (to carefully picked out good homes), and she spent months looking for her kittens. If you're experienced with this kind of situation, do you think she will do better with a male or female kitten?

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I have had both, female cats are more territorial...male cats are more loving but can stray and not come back as female cats will usually always come back.
    Anonymous

• good point! that's how our male got stolen (well we can't prove it, we just hear him). Our female was scared to follow me around the block. But she did anyway... We have other cats around that our last male fought with though, so that's a great point to bring to mind, thanks!
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• female IMO.. they are less hostile. We've had male cats and they started fights all over the place... with us! Of course, they were stray kittens but the female stray kittens were still sweeter than the males
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Female and have her fixed! Male cats spray on everything! Even if they are fixed! I have three fixed male cats and I love them but I hate them! My one female is fixed and is a great cat.
    Anonymous

• We have had 4 cats over the last 18 years. (3 female and 1 male) I would definitely have to say we will NEVER get another male cat. He has been neutered since he was 6 months old. He is now 12 years old and sprays everything and anything. The females are/were the biggest snugle bugs you could ever ask for. My Siamese female even comes when you call her name. Oh by the way all of my cats are indoor only. The only time my cats are allowed outside is being held on the way to the vet.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 11:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Whether you get a male of female kitty, be sure to have it spayed or neutered. Male cats are more likely to be amiable around kids and put up with more. They are also apt to be a bit larger, and cheaper to fix. Female cats are more aloof, and slightly more independant, need and want less affection, better able to amuse themselves. They will be more likely to be cleaner, neater, and possibly slightly smaller than a male. They cost more to Spay. In the end, it all depends on that particular kitten and it's disposition.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It really doesnt matter if you get it as a kitten but please try and have your cats neutered and spayed... If you cant afford it, the SPCA has mobile units all over the states that provide low cost or free services. Way too many kittens and cats being put down every day. Don't contribute to the deaths. Thanks and Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I have had both female and male cats. I would say go with a female.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We have both a male and a female now, both have been fixed since they were little and I think the male is the better cat, hands down. He is very docile, never sprays, never picks fights. He is probably the best cat I have ever had. Our female is much more aggressive and has a major attitude problem. Both were rescues, so it may have something to do with how she was treated prior to us getting her, but the male was feral when I got him a few years ago....so who knows.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have always had female cats. They are very independant and always had knew how to use a litter box. I was always told never to get male cats because they spray everywhere. You need to get the cat you get fixed.
    nan16

Answer by nan16 at 5:12 AM on Jun. 15, 2009