Should we get a male or female kitten?

We're thinking we're going to get a kitten. The last cat we adopted came pregnant, and we gave her kitties away (to carefully picked out good homes), and she spent months looking for her kittens. If you're experienced with this kind of situation, do you think she will do better with a male or female kitten?

Destiny13

Asked by Destiny13 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Male... same sex cats tend to fight with eachother
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• male cats spray I'd say female
    Anonymous

• dosen't matter, they both have cons... males spray and females get pregnant, either way you choose i'd get it spayed or nutered
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My Male Cat is fixed, lazy and LOOOOOVES Kids! He doesnt spray and never did even before he was fixed. I Guess it depends on the cats personality. But for me Ive always owned male cats
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 3:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I'm thinking female now. Females don't wonder much, and that's how our male got stolen, he was very adventurous... Plus our other male was always fighting with neighbor cats even though he was fixed, and our female doesn't.
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You would probably have less fighting between them with a male. Get him neutered. I have three cats(two female and one male) and three all girl kittens (currently fostering them) My male cat doesn't pick on my kittens and my girls do.

FYI- I have a female spayed cat who never sprayed in the 5 years I had her and now all of a sudden she is. Males are more prone to spraying but females do it too.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If you get them fixed as soon as they're old enough, they don't spray. Maybe it's just my experience, but I have always felt that girl cats are spiteful.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I would get a male and I would make sure they are both fixed. I try to make sure that I get all my cats fixed asap. There are organizations that do it for free or low cost so it shouldn't cost too much. Get them done young.

My cat Harley (male) has never sprayed, and Ginger (female) has never gotten pregnant. They are both still full of spit and vinegar and occasionally fight with each other, but they fight with each other less than they have with other cats we've had over the years.

Be prepared for a time of adjustment, read up on introducing a new cat into the family and be aware that no matter how you do it, there WILL be fighting. The best thing to do is let them fight. Unless there are serious injuries with blood flying, let them work out their differences by themselves without interfering.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I never had a problem with either gender.

If you don't get them fixed, the female can get pregnant (obviously) and the male will probably start to spray when he matures.

Just pick the one you like the best, based on appearance, personality, etc. whether male or female. I'd recommend getting the kitten fixed. Also, getting a male neutered is cheaper than spaying a female. It's a less invasive procedure.

No matter what gender you choose, there will very likely be some 'issues' between the two, initially. Let them work it out on their own. Spitting, hissing, fighting, growing, and chasing are all normal when introducing cats. Let them do their thing, and work out the pecking order. You only need to interfere if it gets serious (serious injury, blood loss - not just a few scratches, but serious blood loss or wounds). When you bring the new cat home, leave it in it's carrier for awhile, so they can scent eachother out safely.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Also, gender does not determine whether a cat is going to be dominate, aggressive, or have 'wander lust'. My kitten Ed, a girl, just decided to take off one day and never return. She loved to wander. DF's male cat, Vyv, is fixed. He loves to wander, but stays close to home, is very affectionate, and patrols the area. lol. His female cat, Sevka, is fixed. She's very affectionate, and doesn't wander as much, but she's more aggressive than the lot of them, when she gets in a mood or near a new cat. My female cat, Velvet, very rarely wanders. She is sweet but very dependent and VERY bitchy. She has no problem swatting another cat, or dogs (even out pit mix) when she's annoyed.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 4:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009