Does this concern anyone?

The actress Natasha Richardson died after falling skiing in Canada . It took eight hours to drive her to a hospital. If Canada had our healthcare she might be alive today. We now have helicopters that would have gotten her to the hospital in 30 minutes. Obama wants to have our healthcare like Canada and England.

In England anyone over 59 cannot receive heart repairs or stents or bypass because it is not covered as being too expensive and not needed.
If Obama's plans in other areas don't scare you, this should.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• cont.
    Most of you know by now that the Senate version (at least) of the "stimulus" bill includes provisions for extensive rationing of health care for senior citizens.. The author of this part of the bill, former senator and tax evader, Tom Daschle was credited today by Bloomberg with the following statement.

Bloomberg: Daschle says"health-care reform will not be pain free. Seniors should be more accepting of the conditions that come with age instead of treating them."

If this does not sufficiently raise your ire, just remember that Senators and Congressmen have their own healthcare plan that is first dollar or very low co-pay which they are guaranteed the remainder of their lives and are not subject to this new law if it passes.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• yeah, I'm scared! Of course I am!!
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• LMAO this is such a "drama" post. well when ur kid moves out, and if they work so hard everyday, but cant afford health care, they get sick and dont go to dr and get sick to the point of terminal or even have cancer, u would b thinking other wise. if u notice his plan says u can keep ur current helth care plan, dr etc and stil will b able to buy private insurance regardless of a public system, then u can still have ur dr, and think about it, if we need more healthcare providers, what will america do? more people will become dr's and EMT's and nurses and all other fields of medical. thats what americans do, we overcome problems.
    Anonymous

• this is terrible!!... so older people should just lay back and die instead of trying to live longer?? who is the government to say someone shouldn't be able to live their life to the fullest extent??... i hope this doesnt happen...

thats really sad about that woman...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well, I guess it is a "drama post" if your head is stuck in the sand!

The biggest problems with US healthcare are Medicare and Medicaid. They pay out at rates far lower than the true value of the services they pay for. The unpaid amounts are passed on to the insured and the cash paying.

Obama's plan will kill our private healthcare system. As a military family we have used Tricare. Tricare is essentially "universal" care. They decide what is needed when and simply switching to a new doc doesn't happen. I have 2 horror stories. One being the pregnancy/birth of my autistic child and the other being a breast cancer scare. These can be a little drawn out, but I wil gladly share them with anyone that emails me.

Yes, something should be done. However, this is NOT the best route. We all know what a mess the government makes of things they control.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yourspecialkid,

That's interesting, I for one LOVE Tricare and haven't had any major problems with them in the last 8 years.

I had a cancer scare, an odd shaped mole on my breast, and couldn't get into the MTF immediately, it was going to be 6 weeks, so I called Tricare and asked what needed to be done to be seen sooner. She said I needed a referral from my PCM to see someone else. Of course, that was the one I couldn't get in to see for 6 weeks. So I went into the clinic and talked to the receptionist, and she got the referral from my PCM that day. I was seen the next day.

We've changed our PCM over the phone with no problems, and have done in person as well at a Tricare Service Center. In our experience, they pay for anything that is coded by the doctor as medically necessary. If they don't code it right, Tricare doesn't pay.

Honestly, there are ways around EVERYTHING. (contd)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It's not any different from any other insurance company. They all have their policies and they all decide what they'll cover and when.

I am VERY thankful for Tricare. I see what others pay for crappy insurance (high deductibles, and high co-pays) and I am so glad that's not an burden on our family.

However, I have heard that Tricare is worse than Medicaid and Medicare on pay outs... that's why Tricare is not as widely accepted.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my dad wouldn't be alive today if he hadn't recieved a by pass at 61. He is nearly 80 now. I can't imagine telling people they can't have a surgery such as heart bypass after 59. It saved my fathers life and he is still a very active and productive man. why can't the parties take the good part of eachother and make america better. and not have something this huge looming over us. I voted democrat in hopes of change and now I am a little worried. when do we see good changes?
    Anonymous

• They will have to ration healthcare.

Obummer will evetually have to decide which of his pet programs will get some money,  and which will be left out in the cold.

Like Arnold in California is finding out!

He can't spend money endlessly , everywhere!

There is a bottom to every bucket, and he's going to learn that, one way or another.

Taxpayer's pockets are EMPTY!

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Grace, isn't arnold one of your beloved republicans?
    Anonymous