Do you turn off the electricity when it is thundering and lightning outside?

When I was growing up my parents turned off EVERYTHING when a thunderstorm came. I do it now and I still don't know the hell why. I think it was something about if the electricity was on the house was prone to get struck by lightning. Do you do this?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 3:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No.
    We have a whole house surge protector, individual surge protectors on many of the electronics, and a lightning rod.
    All homes built in at least the last century have a lighning rod. If lightning hits the house, the electricity is diverted into the ground, not into the people and the house. Lightning was a major cause of house fires until this was discovered a couple of centuries ago. The electronics in the house will probably still be destroyed but the house will be standing.

You are actuallly at a greater risk of injury if you use your phone (a corded phone) during a thunder storm. It's a very slight risk though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Nope. I was never told you were at greater risk for being hit but if you were hit then you have the chance of frying your electronics.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i turn off my computer becuase if something happens it can fry your system.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• The only good reason to turn off the electricy during a thunderstorm (besides the surge that the pp said) is if you have all your stuff on and the power goes out it could melt the fuse out on the power pole. Even then the chances of doing that are slim.

My house was built this year and does not have a lightening rod. Maybe it's a mid-west thing.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yes I do- I have no idea why though. Sometimes I try to justify it- like turning off the lights allows us to sit at the window and watch the storm.

I don't think that's the real reason though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• We always used to turn the TV off during a storm when I was a kid. We do turn of the computer if it gets closed.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I was told that growing up too. I make sure that I turn off the air condition when it is thunder storming so that it wont attract the electricity. I was also told not to take showers either for some odd reason during that time too. Idk. I do keep my electricity off still but I do that whenever because I do not like to have on lights in a room where no one is using it. I guess there may be some type of method to that old saying......
    momofonewntmore

Answer by momofonewntmore at 8:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009