Text Messaging during church?

I formerly belonged to a Christian church that I've attended for many years. I recently quit going, and everytime I see the preacher, his wife and kids, or anyone from the church, they pretty much ignore me or act like they're better than me. It makes me extremely mad becuase I love going to church, the reason I quit was becuase I was sick and tired of going on Sundays and Wednesdays, only to sit behind some teenager, or even adult, that has their cell phone out, playing games, and text messaging during the sermon. My aunt, who's raising 3 of her grandchildren, let them run around and throw toys everywhere during the sermon, and when they come sit by me, all they want to do is play and scream. I'm not there to babysit or watch someone play with their phones. Is it wrong for me not to want to attend because of this reason, or should I let it go and ignore it?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 3:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is wrong for you to be snubbed, it is wrong for them to text during church and it is wrong for you to allow someone to take away your right to go to church. Get there early and sit in front. I go to church and worry about myself.
    Anonymous

• I have been snubbed by my old church too. You should not have people texting in church. It should be a cell phone free area. As for the kids I can understand them playing, but normally with mine we did coloring sheets or books, and they stayed with me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Texting, playing, talking all seem pretty pointless during a service. Why bother to be there if you aren't going to listen? However, those are their problems. Your problem is that you found it distracting to be in a service where those things were allowed. It seems to me like you need to find a place to attend services in which the church leaders set up an expectation that people will be listening & not engaging in distracting activies, for the most part, during services. You have a right to find a place that suits your needs. You don't have the ability to change the place you were attending, so all you can do on that level is let that church (and the people who are now being rude to you) go.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I am not Christian, however I see all of these things as HIGHLY disrespectful. Not only to you and others around you but to God. You are there to be closer to God and to learn about him, not to chat with friends.Now, as for the kids, they should have an area for that, but if they don't then you learn how to control them. My mother took us to church 3 times a week when we were growing up. There were many other children there and NONE of us ever got out of our seats or made noise durring the cerimony/sermon... It just wouldn't have been tollerated by the Church elders... They would have asked her to go to the back room or library at least.

It's aweful that anyone would treat you that way, but personally if I were you I would just find a better church, I think that one is defective.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• As far as being treated badly by the pastor and family you must understand that pastors and families have a tremendous drain on their time. A lot of people think that the pastor just preaches on Sunday and Wednesday, that is no where near to all they do. People expect the pastor and his family to be available anytime, all the time. They do counseling, supervise the running of the ministries of churches, some of the business aspects of the church, visit hospitals, etc. Also, if you are only there on Sunday and Wednesday they may just not have had the chance to know you. Think about it like a classroom teacher at a high school. They teach 6 classes and have between 30-40 students minimum. That adds up to 240 students. You don't expect your child's teacher to know every little thing about your child or to be your child's friend. Same with a pastor and by extension his family.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• As to the texting, playing games, etc. that is just plain rude. To the pastor or speaker. However, I must question if they are playing quietly, that is the phone isn't ringing or the game making noise why can't you just ignore them.

As far as children playing in church that is why my kids have Sunday School and Children's service. They can be taught in an age appropriate manor and have play time and breaks as needed. Lets face it after the music church is real boring for children, probably up to Jr. High age. Even at that age I allowed my older one to bring a book and read quietly.

Unfortunately there will always be rude people in life, and often those in charge are unwilling to risk offending them.  So it then becomes a situation of how do I deal?  I can't change them I can only be responsible for me and how I cope. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009