Calling all faiths.

Do you say a prayer or blessing before every meal? or just dinner? Are there other times of day that you take a moment to say thank you and connect? What about your children? Do you teach them to do this too?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 4:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We do not, but I taught my kids to pray when at dinner with others who pray, to be polite.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 5:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• We are not too good about it, but when we sit down together as a family at a meal we do try to pray.

I wish we did an evening prayer before bed too, but we don't.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You know it's never to late to start having a bed time pray too. I'm glad you reminded me and others . We say a pray at dinner as the family. I feel I too need reminded for other meals along with soo many other things that I am thankful for . You know alot of times it seems we pray when we or some one we know are in Need of pray but think also we need to be thankful for our daily blessings aswell.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 4:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• we don't always say a prayer before meals. we are teaching our son to pray before bed..its a good time to stop and reflect on the day, talk about your concerns for tomorrow (if you have any..who doesn't, eh?)..just part of our 'bedtime' routine. does this mean we don't pray at other times? no..i feel like i have an ongoing conversation with God 24/7. that's part of the relationship, keeping in communication, et al.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 5:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I do not say a blessing before any meal, and I do not teach my children to. I speak with the Gods all day, but always make sure that those aspects of my life are kept away from my children. I do not want to bias them towards any way of life. Being my DH is Christian and I am Pagan we have decided to keep our children as neutral as possible until they are old enough to decide for themselves.

I do try to thank the Great God for life each morning and the Great Goddess for life each night. In fact I have been on a search for a good devotional "minute" ritual or candle burning to use each day and night. I have read much about them but can't seem to find any.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• We don't pray. But now that I think about it, I guess I'll have to teach my daughter what to do when we're older. I bow my head just to be polite at family gatherings and such.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Usually with the family at dinner. It is the one meal we are all together for. Myself, I pray before each meal.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• not so much prayers, but I do teach my child basic table manners.. she's still young(17 months), but she does know how to say please and thank you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• although im not sure who im praying to, i give thanks every night when i go to bed hoping someone out there is listening, lol. my two are still young, but i do not plan on teaching them prayers. i do bow my head when i am with others who pray.
    allybot

Answer by allybot at 6:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• We don't pray as I am Pagan. However, when we visit with family members who are Christian, we will pray with them out of respect for their faith. They also have the same respect for us in our own home as well. But I really see nothing wrong with it.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2009