The governments right to make our choices...

As most know I am pro-choice / Anti-Abortion. I have these beliefs for a few reasons which don't matter at the moment...

But a few years ago there was a judge that had ruled to remove a womans 4 or 5 living children as well as the one she was currently pregnant with. He then gave her the choice to face jail time or have her tubes tied so that she could not bear more children she would abuse and neglect...

I aplauded this judge and felt it was a great ruling. Many disagreed with me when I said that. They said that he was taking her rights away.

Now, here is my question. For those of you that are 100% pro-life should laws or ruling like these be used to stop "breeders" from bringing more unwanted children in to the world? And for Pro-Choicers do you think this is removing her rights since it was HER choice to go to prision or tie her tubes??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it was a good ruling too. I also think if she is neglecting her children she shouldnt have a choice as to whether she can have more or not AND should have to go to jail. Women like this don't deserve a choice at all. I dont agree with abortion but there is a big difference between getting an abortion and bringing 5 children into this world and abusing and neglecting them! As for the "Breeders" well I think like China there should be a law on how many children you can have. Im not saying just one but 10 should be max, I only say 10 because a john and kate commercial just came on. However annoying they may be, they didnt plan out 8 kids. Im sure other parents of multiples didnt either. Now 18 kids and counting just need to be slapped put in jail and her tubes tied!!!!!!! thats just rediculous
    Anonymous

• the only way i see it as a good ruling is if she was abusive and not taking care of the children.. it's not the government's decision to take someone's kids away if they're properly taken care of, and if they are born into a loving family, then they're not unwanted
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If she is abusing her children and neglecting them they should be able to take them from her, but to tie her tubes is crossing the line (IMO). That is permanent. And what if she straightens out and gets her life right?

I think the gov't can be dangerous; they exist to protect us and our rights not to parent us.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• A girl locally was found guilty of harboring a fugitive who had just birthed a 30 week baby and tossed it into a dumpster (living). This was last Summer. She is in prison now, and her son (who was about 6 months at the time) is in the permanent custody of her mom. She is no longer allowed to have children, and if she has more they will be removed at birth.
    I think the judge was justified in his ruling, but when it concerns rights we have we have to be careful of where the line shall be drawn. There I reasons I would not live in China.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Here is the difficulty with ruling like that, it sets precidence. What if at some point the government decides that some disabled person is unable to care for children? What if it is decided that not breastfeeding is neglect, or not feeding them organic food is neglect? Raising them in a home with a religion is abuse? You say the government would never go there...but there is that danger.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Oh, know TeamQuinn - I know the government would go there. One of the reasons I am pro-choice is because I believe that once we begin to give them the power to choose what is life and what is not that the next thing they will do is illegalize turning off life support or refusing chemo...

However I also understand the need for some kind of control over people that continue to pump children in to the foster system...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• "it's not the government's decision to take someone's kids away if they're properly taken care of, and if they are born into a loving family, then they're not unwanted"

This womans children were removed because of abuse and neglect. If I remember right she was a heroin addict and tricked out her 12 yo for money for drugs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

read the rest of what i wrote... IF THEY'RE PROPERLY TAKEN CARE OF... i meant in general, not that situation, there were obvious reasons for those kids to be taken away
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Cinnamon-mom ~ This woman had 5 children and one on the way, on the OFF chance that she straightned out she could have them back. But that's a slim to none kinda thing. Also, she was not REQUIRED to tie her tubes just given the option in leu of an all to short prison stay.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I actually agree with the judge..

perhaps they should have set her up in a program though... something to help change some of these abusive urges.. to give her a chance at perhaps having hope of seeing her children again.. but I wasn't on the case, so I don't know the extent of what happened.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009