Have you ever been with someone who was WAY older than you?

Like...not even born in the same decade as you? How did your friends handle it? How did your family handle it? How did HIS/her family handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• Not entirely, but I dated a guy who was 23 and I was 16...now that I've been 23...EW! I thought I was just mature and so it was more that I was closer to 23 than he was to 16. Yah no. He didn't DO anything, but he was just really lame and off. I dumped him and then he went for this trashy 15 year old so I knew he had problems. I can't imagine when I was 23 dating a 16 year old. Its not healthy or normal. But I could see someone who is 40 dating a 30 year old. I think it depends on the age of the younger person. If you're past your early 20s I don't think its as big a deal- you've established an identity for yourself, have some real life experience, a job and your own place (and if not you need to get there!) At that point, you can identify with older people because you're in a more mature place as long as it isn't so old that you're like father and daughter age. That's just daddy issues there.
    Anonymous

• I haven't but my sister is dateing a guy that is old enough to be her dad. Shoot I hope this isn't you, but no matter even if it is. If you truly love him and he loves you or even if you two are just happy right now and things are healthy between the two of you, things should be ok. If people have a problem with it don't let it get to you, it is your life and you can do with it what you please, and if your friends and family see you are happy, and they truly love you, they will eventually come around.
    lilmama4d_j

Answer by lilmama4d_j at 5:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• He's 41 and i'm I will be 28.
    Anonymous

• eh... I guess it should be fine. Do you have the same goals in life? Do you want kids and are you ok with their dad being over 50 when they're 10? Are you stable on your own and don't need him financially or aren't getting over a breakup? If you're independent and he is a decent person, be happy and others will be happy for you. You don't need other's approval at this point.
    Anonymous

• I was 19 and he was 34. My mom was only 38 at the time and they loved him and his family loved me.
    Anonymous

• Im 25 and my ex was 37!! Yes thats 13 yars and it was one of the worst relationships I have been in. WE didn't have alot in common. He did not get along with any of my friends. I have alot of single friends and he hated it when I went out with them. As for my family they don't argue or get in the middle of my relationships lol they know better! I never meet his parents or siblings but I did meet his 2 kids his son was 15 and his daughter was 12. It was really ackword they are the same age as my sister lol I suggest that you stick closer to your age lol
    CMead02

Answer by CMead02 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Not really. My current boyfriend is 6, almost 7 yrs older than me. I once dated a guy who was 10 yrs older than me. Our families never came into it b/c I stopped dating him before it got that far - he was always complaining, really negative and I just couldn't deal with that. The guy I'm currently seeing - well, my parents don't really have an opinion of him yet, his mom seems to like me, I think his sister thinks I'm all right, never met his dad. My friends have never cared who I dated. Right now, they are just glad I'm dating again, lol. I don't think age is really a big problem, unless it's an age difference where one could be the parent of the other. Although, as a 30 yr old, I wouldn't date someone 10 or 12 yrs younger than me. I guess the youngest I'd go would be maybe 25. I think it all depends on maturity and how comfortable you are with the age difference.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I dated a guy who was 82 (30 yrs older than me) and he rocked my world! I think my kids wished I'd have married him. he was single and rich but I decided to go with someone closer to my own age.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My husband is almost 10 years older and I couldn't have found a better match for me.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 7:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree with the first answer. I dated older guys when I was a teen, looking back they were all losers who couldn't get a woman their own age.
    My X & I were together 10 years, I was 17 and he was 24 when we met, of course I thought I was all mature. Now that I'm grown I realize he HAD to get with someone who was young and naive.
    He is 37 now, and his girlfriend is 20 (18 when they met) -- she is sweet as can be -- but I see it for what it is - he can't get anyone his own age, or even 10 years younger. NO grown woman would put up with him - all he can get is someone young and naive, someone who doesn't know any better - like I was.
    My hubby now is 6-7 years older, I'm 31 and he's 37 -- the age gap now is nothing because we are older - other than when we talk about being young -- I'm the youngest person he's dated. But there is something seriously wrong with a looser man who can only date really young girls.
    Anonymous