Should a wo/man be sterilized if they have children with mulitpul people and refuse to support them all?

My father is a perfect example. That we know of he has me (who he adopted), and my sister with our mother, then he cheated on her with another woman and had a son, left my mother and adopted her first son, then left her and had 2 more boys...

Today, he still owes over 10 years of child support for me (I'm 26) and for my sister... He has never paid a dime to the other women. They have even gone so far as to garnish his wages, but he just quits his jobs.

Now, he's a heroin adict. He whores himself out for money and has a gf. He was a firm believer that "protection" is evil so god only knows how many children there are we don't know about.

Now, I have always believed he should just be snipped, along with others like him.

Do you think that it should be a legal matter in cases like these? Should he be allowed to continue to father unwanted children?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry, I know this isn't a "religion" question but it went along with the others... Which went along with the Pro-life/Pro-Choice questions.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I wish that we could do something like that. My ex has 2 kids with me, and 1 with someone he dated before me, and those are just the ones I know about. I would love to be able to make him get snipped, so that I wouldn't have to tell my sons someday that they have each other, and a half sister, and who knows how many others out there. But, unfortunately, we can't do that. It infringes on their rights and is a huge physical invasion. But, damn, it IS a nice thought, isn't it?
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have seen cases where men have had 10 or more kids with different women and not supporting any of then.....I would personally support a snip snip in that situation.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Only if he consented to it. The goven't shouldn't just sterilize people. We aren't animals (even those that act like them).

I feel so strongly about this because our country is testing sterilizing vaccines on unknowing women in south america. Pretty soon our country will have the ability to sterilize us with or without our consent. We are not China.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• They will use extreme examples, like octomom or men like you mentioned in order to justify them taking away our reproductive rights.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think he should. But of course it is not my decision to make. Because of the infringement on his rights I don't think it will happen. I also think it might be a bit harsh to say the children aren't wanted. Obviously if the woman wants to be a mother she can have the baby. But I don't want to open a can of worms here so I am leaving it at that.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• it all comes down to responsibility of the other party. use contraception unless youre sure you want to have a child with that person. i know it istn fool proof, but im afraid what i would say to fix that would end up in a terrible argument. my sister just had a child with a boy who did not want to, and is not ready to have a child. should he really be forced to have to pay for that for the rest of his life? should that little girl have to go through the heart break knowing her father doesnt want her? it takes two people to make a baby, and it should take two to decided if thats the best route. might sound cruel, but its reality. in your fathers case, those women should have taken more precautions. i dont think a lot of people realize what a huge responsibility it is to have a child, no one really thinks about how their life will be. only about how you will feel. very selfish.
    allybot

Answer by allybot at 6:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• No one sees the problem is really sexual immorality?
    Anonymous

• No anon, that's not the problem at all. The problem is that these men and women are not supporting the lives that they so willingly create. If you want to have 25 kids to 25 women I don't care, but you had better be willing to support them.

Cinnamon-mom ~ I see your argument but here's my question. Do men and women like this really deserve those rights? That's like saying that since you have the right to free speach it's okay to use it against someone. They are hurting their own children, and there is very little we can do to stop them from continuing to do it again. Persoanlly I believe that while we have rights those that exploit their rights should have them removed! And it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper to snip them than it is to toss them all in jail for refusing to pay support.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Sabrina, I agree it would be an easy fix to a terrible situation. I just hate to give the government so much power, then they will start neutering everyone. LOL.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2009