when god says forgive?

does that mean dont think bad thoughts abt the person ur angry with ; of course do NOT do bad things to them .. but what if u forgive someone but dont want to be around them.. bc if your around them then all those bad emotions come up again.. i think alot people in church say they forgive but they really didnt.. for me letting go can be hard. if your a christian what is your defintion of true forgiveness?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• it's called forgiven but not forgotten.
    Anonymous

• Forgiveness is for you, not them. So that you can put the issue to rest and move on with your life. It doesn't mean that you have to like them or even be around them at all. It just means that you are moving past the issue and you won't let it eat at you anymore. Being that we are all human, letting go of some situations is VERY difficult. But for me, with enough prayer and patience, it goes away. You have to remind yourself that whatever they did is out of your control. And that you will no longer allow that person to control your emotions. Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree wholeheartedly with TheDiva320
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 6:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yeah, there is a difference between forgiveness and restoring a relationship. Sometimes you can restore a relationship, and that is a blessing. But in some situations of abuse, it is not healthy to be around them anymore.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I truely believe that too many people misunderstand what forgiveness is about. Myself included at times. It took me a LONG time to grasp what that meant. (Mainly because I'm such a people pleaser!LOL) But you have to remember, forgiveness is for peace with yourself. I agree with you Cinnamon-mom, forgiveness and repairing a relationship are two very different things and sometimes a relationship is beyond repair, but that doesn't mean you can't forgive.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• God wants us to forgive...He never said we had to forget.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• its about forgiveness and not been unequal yokes with unbelievers if there not of God then you should not be around them unless you are talking about the Lord. 2 Corinthians 6:14 14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well Jesus knew that we would need to forgive others, “not, Up to seven times, but, Up to seventy-seven times”! (Matthew 18:22) True, we cannot forgive as completely as Jehovah God does. Yet, I believe in most cases when my Spiritual Sisters or brothers sin against us, we can forgive in the sense of overcoming resentment and we can forget in the sense of not holding the matter against them indefinitely into the future, do we forget instantly? NO, BUT When we do forgive and forget, we help to preserve not only the peace of the congregation but also our own peace of mind and heart. Above all, I believe we then enjoy the peace that only our loving God, Jehovah, can provide.—Philippians 4:7.
    Just think, God puts the remembrance of our sins as far as the sunrise is to the sunset.Psalm 103:10-14.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• God does as kus to forgive, I mean hating someone is just as bad as killling them. BUT even if you say it it doesn't happen immediatly. You still have those feelings os resentment or hte or whatever. And soemtimes it seems like you can't it's impossable to forgive that person. But if you can;t get over it pray, pray to God for help with this matter. Give it to him and try not to think about it. If being around this person is hurting you explain to them that you need a break for awhile to cool off. I think of it like this. Say your an alchoholic. Well one day you decide your done, you see what it has done to you life and don't want it anymore. Well if you go back to the bar duh your gonna drink. So stay away from the bar. Then when your strong and finally sober then you can go be the DD for your friends and be able to say "Just a soda please"
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 8:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You can forgive someone, but that doesn't mean you have to be around them. Forgive but not forget.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009