Who is Right?

My friend and I are having a debate..Maybe you guys can help us out.. We are both first time new moms of little girls.. Her daugher was born 2 weeks before mine on May 16. I was curious when you can safely take your newborn out into public (like to a store or such)? She has already taken her child out when it was a week old but I thought you were suppose to wait 4-6 weeks before venturing into public places because of their delicate immune system but she says nope.. Who is right? How long do you wait?

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 7:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard 10 lbs.

Answer by Bmat at 7:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Roughly 2 weeks is ok. I mean, you are going to have to take them out evenutally anyway........1 week for the newborn check up. You just don't want them playing in the dirt and millions of people touching them. That's all. Besides, a little exposure is good for them, you don't want them to become hypersensitive.

By the way, my son was born May 15! So, congrats to you!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think it's really up to the mother's discretion. I've heard some say to wait a few weeks, but then I see newborns out all the time. I had a preemie and I was so frightened to take him out into public places, but I don't think I would have been as nervous had he of been born full-term.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 7:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Wait? Huh? I took mine out after they were born. I had to go to Target.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• First off Congrats to you TheDiva320 on the birth of your beautiful son..

I am not so sure what to do.. My friends baby was born full term (40 weeks) Gwendolyn (my daughter) was taken by C section a month early (36 weeks..and spent the 3 days I was in the hospital in the NICU unit) so I am very nervous about taking her places.. I mean I have taken her to the Pediatrician twice and had to take her to the hospital for bloodwork but I get so nervous about taking her anywhere people will touch her or breath on her..
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 7:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I took my DD out as little as possible during the first month.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• We went out the day we left the hospital. The mom's immunities should have been passed to the baby before birth through the placenta and also after birth through colostrum... so I don't see the point in sitting at home for weeks....
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thank you Faeriebrat!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i took my little guy to wal-mart like 5 days after i brought him home...and to a party at a week old. he has only ever had like one case of the sniffles and he is almost 2. i wouldnt let everyone hold or touch him...but germs are not always a bad thing!
    Anonymous

• We went out and ran a few errands the day DS was brought home. Gosh, I would go insane if I couldn't leave the house for 6 weeks! Just bundle them out well and try not to let people touch your kid's hands.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 8:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009