Did I make a mistake?

When I was 14 I got pregnant my third time having sex. My mom made me get an abortion and I really didnt want to but because I was under 16 they said it was her desision. Well now its 6 years later and Im married and ready to start a family now but for the past 3 years i havent been able to get pregnant no matter how much i try. Do you think that could have something to do with why i cant get prego? No negative answers please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• yea it sometimes can affects ur changes of being able 2 concieve
    Anonymous

• ***chances
    Anonymous

• It is possible that if the abortion wasn't performed correctly that that could be the reason for the inability to conceive. However, you would have to have that checked by a doctor. Other than that, I truely believe that you are thinking to much into this. It could have everything to do with timing. I know that sounds crazy after trying for 3 years, but it could be that simple.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• yes, it makes it harder but not impossible to get pregnant b/c of the scar tissue inside you.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 7:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• i've had two abortions and got pregnant the first month after getting off birth control, it's possible but i'd say highly unlikely
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree with staciandbaby---possible, but not likely. It could be stress, you are not having regular cycles, your husband could even have the problem, like a low sperm count. Did you tell your OBGYN about the abortion and discuss your concerns? Your doctor could really help. After a year of trying, typically, you start with fertility help. Please don't beat yourself up for the past. I'm sure it is haunting, but now you are older, married, and in a new place. I'm sure pregnancy will happen, even with some intervention.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Talk to your doctor. It might have. I have heard of cases like this before. They need to mention these things to women. Unfortunately, they don't.
    Anonymous

• I understand what you're going through-- that somehow you're either being punished for having that abortion or you're now medically unable. It's simply not true. Abortions, unless something goes terribly wrong, do not make you infertile-- it's simply a myth that anti-abortionists keep spreading around. Those with abortions have the same rates of birth as everyone else.

Since you have not gotten pregnant, talk with your doctor and get a battery of blood tests to find out whether your hormone levels are ok. Many have "secondary infertility"-- meaning that they have difficulty getting pregnant again. You may fall into that category. Also, have you tried a fertility monitor?

I had an abortion at 18, and when I was ready, I tried for 2 years before I finally got pregnant. I felt the same fears, hurt, anger, and everything else you are going through. But in the end, abortion had nothing to do with it!

Anonymous

• I've heard stories about parents telling the doctors to sterilize the daughters without telling them. Maybe you should go see a fertility specialist.
    Anonymous

• This is anon 9:11. I also heard that sometimes, when you are trying "too hard" or stressing about it, it makes it much harder to get pregnant. Like, I've heard about people giving up and adopting a baby and then the next thing they know, they're pregnant. Maybe try relaxing--DH too, then try. Or have the mind set of not trying, but not-not trying. I don't think it's because you had an abortion(unless there is bad scarring or like I said in the pp). And I'm prolife. So, not all anit-abortioners are a-holes and think that it's punishment for having an abortion or whatever. Things go wrong during labor and c-sections, they can certainly go wrong in an abortion as well. Just, try relaxing, aromatherapy, and talk to a fertility doctor. Good luck.
    Anonymous