Meat is Murder... Or, not?? (really for Christians but others welcome)

We have all come accross someone that claims meat is murder. And if you buy in to the "It has a heart beat, it is a life" sale then it is. So here is the question.

If god created man and gave him the animals to have in subjection. Does this include killing them to eat? IF you read further in the bible it says that on a perfect earth that the lions will eat grass. So it would stand to reason that he doesn't want even the animals to kill... Would that in turn mean that when he said Thou Shalt Not Kill he wasn't speaking only of other humans? Or, was he?? What's your take?

Mind you I'm not Christian and I'm typing this while I cook up hotdog and cheese omelets for dinner... So you know my thoughts, but I'm looking for yours. This came up in a conversation I had with my aunt and I thought about it because of another post...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• didn't God kill the first animals to give skins to Adam and Eve for clothing?
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Not. God made us to be master of all beasts, including fish. He intended for us to use animals for food.
    Anonymous

• Not that I remember...
    Gen. 3:7 Then the eyes of both of them became opened and they began to see that they were naked. Hence they sewed fig leaves together and made loin coverings for themselves...

This is the only mention of clothing for them I REMEMBER... That doesn't mean there aren't others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• without scriptural reference...this xtian thinks she can kill any kind of animal for human consumption...if she knew how. thank goodness, someone does, because i love grilled chicken, turkey, the occasional steak, and all kinds of fishies/shell-fishies.
    i don't consider the 'thou shalt not kill' commandment to include animals,only your fellow humans...again, without scriptural reference/'proof'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:35 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I thought Christians use to use animals (the sheep I think) to sacrafice to their God.. I forget the holiday or reason right now.. I'm having a brain fart.. .lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I love The Smiths : )

Okay, now I will read the question.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Genesis 9:3

Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. (NIV)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• God doesn't want us to kill people.

It is okay to eat meat. Even Jesus ate meat. Also in the OT God told Israel what meats are good for them to eat and which meats were not healthy for them to eat.

I think it is wrong to hit a cat in the road, just for fun. I think it is wrong to let animals fight each other. That is inhumane. But to hunt and eat meat is fine.

On a personal note, I choose to care about the quality of the care the animals that I eat recieved while alive. I won't eat KFC. And I eat free range organic chicken and eggs and beef that is all natural and not from a factory farm/feeedlot. That is for ethical and health reasons. I am an organic nut : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• LOL now I gotta download my e sword again
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Found it

Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

He did make them coats of skins. My guess would be that was the first sacrifice.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009