Do you "dress like a mom"?

I'm 20 yrs old and have an 11 month old DD. I'm still carrying around 40 pounds of baby weight. DH and I were shopping yesterday and he told me I shouldn't shop in the juniors section bc i'm not "junior" size (but they make plus size). I told him I didn't like the clothes in the women's section bc the looked like "old" women clothes. He said i was a mother now and needed to dress like one.

So my question is....since you have kids, do you tend to dress older/drabby?

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 7:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope, I dress for my age. If we don't wear clothes that make us feel good about ourselves, then that 40 extra lbs of baby fat are going to be a lot more obvious. Confidence is always key. Besides you're only 20!
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• No I'm 4'10" and weight all of 100lbs so i shop in the juniors department i will say yes i do dress differently then before i became a mommy but i think i look better and i have to say i feel better about myself but all in all my DD always looks better then me. Oh also i am 31 almost 32. Tell your DH that you want to dress the way your comfortable.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• It depends on what womens department your shopping in. Ann Taylor the Loft, J-Crew, Free People,Banana Republic...you can dress like a mom and be modern. I love TLC's what not to wear..great advice for dressing for your age and how you want to be perceived. You don't want to wear the trends that are going to be popular for five minutes. Only buy classic pieces that never go out ( classic trench ). I think your thinking dressing like a mom means "mom jeans". I live in yoga clothes(lululemon.com) but I'll stop in bloomingdales if I have something special to dress up for.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You should check out American Rag from macy's...its in the juniors section..but its more lady like. Prices are fair too.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• No, dress your age. You're still you even though you had a baby. Tell hubby that if you started to dress like an Amish woman he'd stop being interested in you!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• That's silly. Wear whatever you like and whatever looks good on you. I'm 24 and I shop in the juniors sections, I like the clothes better, it's easier to find the smaller sizes and it's usually cheaper too.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• No, I wear whatever looks nice and is comfortable, and I have no choice but to shop in juniors because I'm 5ft tall and weigh under 100lbs, so for me to shop elsewhere would make me look like I was wearing curtains.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 8:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I am 32 , have a teenager and a 10 yr old, and wear whatever the HELL I WANT, so you do the same.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 8:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• HUN, I AM TURNING 60 THIS YEAR AND I DO NOT OWN ANYTHING AGE APPROPRIATE, MY BODY IS FIRM AND I TAKE PRIDE IN KEEPING FIT, SO I WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR WHAT I FEEL GOD IN REGARDLESS OF MY AGE, OR MOTHERHOOD. IN THIS MIAMI HEAT, IF I COULD COME OUT NAKED I WOULD! SO I DO THE NEXT BEST THING, I DRESS WITH AS LITTLE MATERIAL AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT LOOKING TRASHY.

Answer by older at 8:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You can get clothes in the petite section of nice stores that are attractive and not old ladyish. I tend to avoid the Juniors section because that stuff is for kids and I'm not a kid. I think I'd look ridiculous if I tried to wear that stuff! And I am not old, I am 5 ft and around 100 lbs. So I could pull it off, I just think I'd look silly.

Though I do like the silly cutsie tank tops at stores like Gap and American Eagle.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2009