HELP! I think she swallowed a small barrette

I saw her put it in her mouth and I did an immediate finger sweep, but no barrette. I can't find it anywhere around where we were. She seems OK but I'm scared - do I call the doc?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ya call just in-case the worse i believe they will say is wait till she has a bowel movement. Good Luck!
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• if it wasn't sharp and gonna cut her up inside, than i'm sure they'll tell you since it was small enough to swallow to just watch her diaper and keep an eye out for it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• lots of water, organic prunes, pears, apples....just in case.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• How big was it? Was it metal? I think I'd be a little more concerned than that. That can cause internal injuries if it's sharp/open. I would most certainly call your doctor ASAP.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Everything's OK girls. It was a small, metal, 3/4" x 1/4" barrette. I did call the after hours exchange and had to wait for them to call back. It was excruciating, although she seemed fine. During that time I changed her diaper and found it down by the snaps of her onesie, between her diaper and the snaps. I thought it had fallen down her shirt so I felt around but felt nothing. The only reason I questioned it in the first place was I saw her put it in her mouth, and LITERALLY as soon as her fingers came out, mine went in, and I found NOTHING. I looked all around on the floor and couch, still nothing. I was baffled. She didn't even look like she swallowed - and I couldn't figure out how she could swallow a metal object like that so effortlessly, without so much as a cough. That's when I got on here and called. It was just so weird. I'm so relieved I didn't have to take her to the ER.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 15, 2009