Are more women leaving their abuser?

Times were truly rough along time ago for women involved in domestic violence. Do you think they are leaving more now- a- days?

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 8:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Relationships

• I hope so! I do think that today there is more awareness of abuse, more shelters, and help/resources available for women in that situation than there was say 50 years ago. (I said that # since you did not give a timeframe in your question).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Sadly, domestic violence has been on the increase as the economy has gone south. ANd while I've seen no evidence, just anecdotes, it'snot too far-fetched to believe that some women are staying with their abusers so they can stay off the streets. Our shelters were already straining and it's getting worse.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think that right now women would have a hard time living alone w/out a man. I am really big into women's rights, and I know that it is NOT right to stay with someone who abuses you, but I understand why so many women are staying with these men. Not because they are in love but because the man offers her financial security for her and her child/ren... but with everything that is offered out there now, I would think that women would feel more empowered to get away from a man who is physically abusing her. Hope that I made sense. LOL.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2009