What to do about my neighbors?

I've a 3 y.o dog who barks on occasion. She wears a bark collar all of the time, but last week the battery wore out. I didn't get a chance to get to the store until this weekend to get a new one. So, last week she barked more than she usually would. I'm sensitive to my neighbors, and the barking annoys me too, so I don't allow her out barking for any annoying amount of time. Last week was rainy and she was inconsolable and barked a lot in the house. The end of the week I got a note in my mailbox that said, 'PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DOG OUT TO BARK THANK YOU THE NEIGHBORHOOD' I checked with one neighbor and he said that he hasn't heard our dog bark and he doesn't know who would write a note like that.
Question is what to do now? I've thought of going out to the neighbors and asking them, but I've also thought of copying the note and putting it in everyone's mailbox too.
Any ideas? I'm fed up & sick of being nice!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I wouldn't do anything.

They didn't have the balls to state who they were, so you owe them nothing.

It sounds like you have been a good neighbor thus far, and if one neighbor didn't hear your dog, chances are "The Neighborhood" didn't hear it either.

Just let it go for now and go on about your business.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 8:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Ya i agree with CarolynBarnett you have been a good neighbor thus far so you don't owe anyone anything. Don't let someone else get to you. Your better then that.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• don't worry about your neighbors, just your dog. As long as you are taking care of your dog and trying your best to be a good neighbor, they can just accept that. (they should spend a day/night in my neighborhood LOL)
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 10:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• First off, you shouldn't be using a bark collar. Those things are inhumane and painful. You should try it on your wrist at the same level to see what it feels like(I did once when I worked at a pet store and couldn't believe it was that bad). Those collars are quick fixes that could really mess with your dogs head after long time use. Obviously, as you can see they dont "train" the dog not to bark, they just hurt her in the mean time.
    Anyway, you cant do anything about the note but you could leave a camera out to see if they do it again. People like that are capable of doing anything and I wouldn't take the chance of someone having a grudge against my dog. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Good luck I had to get rid of our dog. My neighbor did state who she was on her letters. We would have one almost every night. Finally she told us she was going to call the cops on us until we got rid of the dog. We ended up that I spent 4 whole days off of work looking for someone to take the dog. He was a rescue from a abusive family and he had major separtion. It was one of the worst moments of my life. And if the neighbors call the cops on you ,after so long they let you go but then you get fined after fine. I didn't want my life to be that way. My family really misses our dog.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I am having this same problem with my puppy. He is just a puppy and barks quite often. We take great care of him. We feed him and water him several times a day. Play with him through out the day. The barking does annoy us ,but I understand he is just a baby still. Well one day one of our neighbors threw a bag of dogfood over our privacy fence because I guess they thought he wasn't being taken care of. Well I flipped the f*ck out! I was pissed because I do take care of him. I confronted my neighbors and let them know he is JUST A BABY! I would say confront your neighbors as long as you are taking care of your dog it is NOT your fault and they need to know that! Let them know you do NOT appreciate the note and you are trying to handle the situation. Just my opinion!
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Oh I completely have to disagree with anon. Bark collars are NOT inhumane. I worked in several vet offices and that's what vets recommend. They do NOT hurt the dog. Using it on a human wrist versus a dog is a HUGE difference.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have to tell you that I am on the receiving end of a neighbors barking dogs. No one wants to listen to a dog bark all hours of the day and night. I have also left notes for my neighbor, because I want them to do whatever they need to do before I snap and start calling the police. I have to say they do better with the dogs now, but it still sucks to have to listen to it. I can understand occassional barking, but for more than a few minutes is ridiculous. Our homes are close together, the dogs are standing at our fence barking right outside the windows of the rooms my children are sleeping in. They even bark when they are in the house and we are playing out in the yard, that I don't feel like I should care about (although I don't like listening to it) what amazes me is that they even tolerate it themselves. If you are being responsible and doing everything you can do, then don't worry about it. If not then try harder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I'm the OP....thank you for your replies. Last week was hard. The dog was inconsolable. I didn't know what she wanted. She barked in the house and would run to the door - so I let her out - and she'd bark. I'd call for her and she wouldn't come in, so I figured she didn't get to do her business yet. About 5 minutes later, after sporadic barking, I'd call her back in and she'd come. Once in the house she'd bark. I'd put her in her kennel and she'd bark. I refreshed her water bowl and gave her food/snacks. She didn't want to play, she didn't want to be pet..she didn't even know what she wanted!
    We were the first people to build in the neighborhood and all of us have been here for 6 years or more. Our kids play together, so I guess I expected more from my neighbors. It's stressful for me for my dog to bark even once or twice because I'm worried about another note or a cop showing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Jun. 15, 2009