Baby Monitor

I need to buy a baby monitor somewhere in the near future and was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions?
Is there any that are very good, and is there some that I should stay away from? My husband really wants one with a screen, but are they worth the money?

LilyandEmmasMom

Asked by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stay away from the FISHER PRICE ones they are made very cheap. I dropped one of mine on the living room carpet and it doesn't work anylonger and the other ones switch to turn on and off is coming off the roller. Theres a really good SAFETY FIRST one that they just came out with and my friend said she loves it a lot and it's one with a screen. Google it and see what it comes up with.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• and i don't know what brand i had with my first, but it had lights as well as sound, so even if you wanted to turn the sound off the lights still lit up when my daughter fussed. that way if we wanted to watch tv static from the monitor didn't interrupt what we were watching and we still knew if she needed us.
    didn't have one w/a screen so don't know if they are worth it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• we have the "sights and sounds' monitor from fisher price. I like it alot. it picks up sounds great and it has a light up feature that shows the intensity of the cry or even movement, like if its full bore the whole thing lights up and if he/she is just moving or breathing heavy one or two lights will light up. I keep it by my bed and I have this thing where i think I hear something all the time, so i just check the lights. its about 40 bucks at walmart. it s just me, but if I had a screen, I'd be glued to it all night and never sleep..goodluck!!!!! ;)
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 8:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• oh thats the one i had! the one that clransom mentioned.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I had the fisher price lights and sounds and it worked great before the baby got here. My husband and I plugged it in and tried it out and it was wonderful. Then at 8 weeks when we moved her to her room in her crib, we plugged it in and and didnt work so good. Lots of static. So we went out the next day and looked at different monitors. We got the Graco iMonitor and it is terrific!!!! Its crystal clear and I can hear EVERYTHING! It vibrates when it gets a little loud and has a light bar that lights up more the louder she is. It can last a long time off the charger and you can put it on the charger and still keep it on. I can also go outside the house to my mailbox and it still works great. Like one of the other posters said, If I had one with a screen, I do not think I would ever sleep.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have a Summer brand video monitor and it is SO worth it. It's so nice to be able to be in any other room in the house and still be able to see your baby sleeping peacefully. I can usually even see her belly moving.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2009