How do I get my 2 1/2 y/o b gentle w/my newborn?

I just had a baby 5 days ago. I have a 5 1/2 y/o and a 2 1/2 y/o. The 2 1/2 y/o loves the baby but has no idea how to be gentle with the baby. He grabs him and tugs at him. I know he just wants to hold and kiss him, but I am afraid he will hurt his new little brother. Any suggestions?

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• do you have pets? i know it sounds awful but i told me 3 1/2 yr old she has to be nice to the baby the same way she is to the dogs. if not, than just show him how he can touch the baby, he wants to show his brother love, so show him how he can kiss him, that he can caress his head (kind of petting him once again sounds bad but makes sense to little kids), hold his hand (not shake it but he can hold it). and give him jobs like making funny faces for the baby and other things that have him interacting with the baby but not touching too much. these all worked for my daughter who is 3 1/2, my son is 3 weeks and so far no problems with hurting him.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You absolutely have to watch the 2.5 year old because they can harm a baby. That said, I was so jumpy with my son when I brought home our second son, that I look back and feel awful. I see in videos that he was just checking him out and wanting to touch him and see what he was all about. He's going to wonder so let him hug him and try to facilitate gentle behavior.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Yup, when he comes near the baby, speak softly to him about the baby, then when he wants to touch the baby show him how to "be gentle" with the baby, by stroking the baby softly and showing him how to do it. If he does something rough, say no, no, we have to be geeentttllee. Lol. This worked with our daughter very well when it came to being too rough, so try that. It of course won't work overnight, it'll take some repetition.

Good luck and congrats!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2009