my 3 and a half yr. old has made it clear she doesn't want me to go on a previously planned trip for a few days .Sobbing and pleas were all it took for me to give in and Im not sure that was the best thing to do.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went on a "trip" today even though my 3 YO DD didn't want me to... It was hard, but I went anyways...even with her saying "mommy please don't go away from me" I knew that she was in good hands with my mother, and I knew that SO and I needed a day alone to enjoy each other's company again. HA. I don't know how long your trip will be but mine was VERY short. Only from 8am till 7pm. We went to Kings Dominion for the day, and it was very NICE. GL. Don't give in to her, even Mommy's need to get away now and then! :)
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Your the MOM not her..You have to make your child understand that..Kids learn at a young age what they can get away with..She has you wrapped around her little finger. Every time she says she does not want you to do something..She knows you will do as she says now..  JMO

Answer by louise2 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I agree with the other responses. You should go anyhow. She does not have the ability at her age to tell you what to do. If you allow her to do it even once, she will continue to use that behavior in her favor.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 10:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• She needs to learn that when you leave, you WILL return. Mine sobs and then about 5 minutes later is off and running. Don't let her control you. Don't feel guilty for having a life. You will make her stronger by not giving in every time. When do tears work for you? They stopped working for me a LONG time ago. DOn't teach her the wrong way to get you to do what you want.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My almost 3 year old does this to my DH when he goes to work and all of her grandparents and sure enough once they are out of earshot she shuts right up. She knows that if she wines and cries it makes them feel bad, she is more likely to get them to stay longer because they all fall for it. Don't give in because once you are gone she'll be fine.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 7:08 PM on Jun. 17, 2009