Amnio?

A friend of mines mother in law is trying to get her to have one and she is unsure. She's afraid it will hurt and completely unneeded. ( It hasn't been brought up by her Ob-GYN) So what are you thoughts? Is her mother-in-law just being pushy? Will it hurt? So on and so forth... Thanks in advance!!!

honeychick772

Asked by honeychick772 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think those test can bring on a miscarriage, if its something the doctor wants for medical reasons like down syndrome or something and it dont bother the person expecting to have a baby in that condition dont do it. My sister was told to have one by her ob/gyn cause she was 38 yrs old and risks are high but she said no shell have her baby regardless and yes he is down syndrome and no she has no regrets.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If she is under 35 and does not have any high risk factors, then there is no medical reason.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Hi, I have had one, I wouldnt say it hurt but more uncomfortable. The thought of it was more scary than the actual procedure. Although I wouldnt recommend one unless it is medically necessary.

If your friends DR hasnt mentioned having one I personally wouldnt have one. As I said unless it is medically necessary for the baby or your friend I would advise her not to have one just because her mother in law wants her too.

I hope this helps

Kathy
    Kathb77

Answer by Kathb77 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Shes 22. No health risks. Healthy so on and so forth. Tina ( her mother-in-law ) is just being really persistant. Even trying to scare her into it. This is her first pregnancy and she's really scared. I keep telling her that she needs to ignore Tina and talk to her doc, but she thinks b/c she's had 7 kids she should know something.
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 10:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I had an amnio, but only because the DRs were trying to determine if my daughter had a birth defect, which she does. The thought of it def is scarier than the actual procedure. I definitely wouldn't have had one done if it werent medically necessary. Tell MIL to back off. She def is doing more harm than good.
    maddiesmom02

Answer by maddiesmom02 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Even if they suspect something is wrong, you don't have to have an amnio, and they can cause miscarriage! I definitely wouldn't do one, especially not for a pushy mother-in-law... You'll find out all that you need to know once the baby is born! In my opinion, unless you feel that you would ask for an abortion if there is something wrong with your baby, there's no reason to have those invasive tests.
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Amnio's are dangerous for the baby and not 100% percent accurate. Tell your friend that it is HER baby and HER body... I don't know that the doctor would even do one with no medical reasons as to why. I don't understand why the MIL is wanting to have this done but I would say H E double Hockey sticks NO!!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 10:07 AM on Jun. 15, 2009