What is a good Bedtime for a 3 year old.

My toddler has had a bedtime of 8pm since birth but recently he is becoming overly grouchy and yelling and screaming. Put him to bed at 6:30p tonight hoping he would at least fall asleep by 8pm but seems early. Just wondering what most moms out there are doing for bedtimes.

tatertotmomof2

Asked by tatertotmomof2 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD wakes up at 6:15 am. Takes a nap from 12pm-2:30 and then she goes to bed at 8:30. It works well for her, but every child is different. I know that they usually get grounchy when they are overtired though...so give an early bedtime a try and see what it does...Good Luck.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My 3yo goes to bed around 9:00 (earlier if she's grouchy-tired, sometimes later)

AnitaVersion2.0

Answer by AnitaVersion2.0 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I think you're on the right track trying an earlier bedtime. My son has always been an early riser and no matter what time he goes to bed, he will wake up before sunrise. If your little one is having meltdowns by his 8pm bedtime, then you are doing the right thing by adjusting his schedule. He is probably WAY overtired & therefore isn't getting very restful/restorative sleep either. My son has always gone to bed between 5:30 (yes, you heard that right) and 7:30pm. Seems extreme to some, but it works for him. Well-rested kids are generally more well-adjusted than ones who aren't - emotionally, behaviorally and even academically! TONS of kids are sleep-deprived and have emotional/behavioral problems as a direct result. Go with your gut, play with the bedtimes, and good luck! :-)
    Evansmomintexas

Answer by Evansmomintexas at 1:50 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Every kid is different, but here's what mine does. Bedtime is at 7:00. We read, sing and pray and by the time he potties or whatever it is about 7:30. He gets up at any point between 6:30 and 8:30. We don't get out of bed until 7:30/8 though. He looks at books in his bed if he gets up early. He naps or rests in his room from 12:30 to 2:30/3.
    JMmama

Answer by JMmama at 2:15 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Bath between 5:30 pm - 6:00 pm. Potty, Story time and sing a song starts at 7:00 pm. Bedtime 7:30 pm. My daughters wakes up between 6:30 am and 7:30 am. No Naps during the day, they grew out of it on there own. But we do have down time! They go to there room and lay down on there beds to look at books or color or just to lay there to rest for atleast an hour or two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My 3 yr old goes to bed about 8:30 every night. She usually isn't asleep until 9 unless she had a super long day. She doesn't wake up early to me about 730-8 am and this is usually because I'm waking her up for school. She behaves well and doesn't really act grouchy unless I cut her nap shprt or wake her up super early. She has maintained this schedule since infancy though.
    wsv777

Answer by wsv777 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009