How do I get her to take me seriously?

DD (16 months old) never thinks I'm serious when I'm angry! She LAUGHS when I get all mean and angry. I'll grit my teeth and growl out the word no...and she just doubles over laughing. I'll say it calmly and she'll ignore me. I'll take her face in my hands and put mine right in front of hers and she'll just head butt me to be silly. I'll put her in "time out" but then the behavior just continues as soon as time out is over. Nothing I say or do gets through to her!

Sagely

Asked by Sagely at 10:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just be consistent, If she gets out of Time Out and continues the behavior then give her another Time Out...after a while she will figure out that Mommy is serious. Keep ur cool though. There is no need to intimidate.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• A lot of times kids LOVE the drama, so in that case the best thing to do is show absolutely NO emotion whatsover and I mean not a pinch of it either by your facial and body expressions to your tone of voice and just put her in time out each and EVERY time. That can be hard to do--believe me, I KNOW...., but it does work after consistency.
    sheriskidmore

Answer by sheriskidmore at 10:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't think it's that they love drama, at this age they are learning all about these different emotions people have. My DD at that exact age used to laugh when she'd see me cry, but now at 2 yo., if I'm crying she comes over and cuddles and kisses me.

You just have to keep your cool, speak clearly like you are doing, and contiue to consistently do what you are doing. Also, help her coive her feelings when there is a problem, like "i know you want to eat that cookie, but ...."

And as always, learn to pick your battles :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 12:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Let me know when you find out, Shaw does that too! GRRRR
    KimmyShaw

Answer by KimmyShaw at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Get the book parenting with love and logic! It works! There is a group on here for Love and Logic parenting too! It is an amazing thing! :0)
    MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009