Why do people think that it is OK to go back to school when you get laid off and collect PA?

I've heard time and time again on this website that people are getting laid off and THEN decide to go back to school and collect PA for their families while they do it. Or moms on here say they CHOOSE to be a stay at home mom and collect PA because they don't want to leave their kids. The only reasoning I've heard is this excuse "well, I've worked in the past and paid taxes, so I am allowed to collect money" or "Childcare is too expensive, so I stay home with my kids and collect government assistance"

So, I'm asking - why do people think this is acceptable use of tax dollars when an abled body stays home and expects the government to support them and their families? Why don't people understand that we are supposed to work to support ourselves AND our government. Taxes should go to elderly or disabled SS, infrastructure - roads, buildings, SCHOOLS, community leaders, police & fire rescue, etc...

cont...

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 10:12 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Is it wrong to go back to school and draws unemployment too? I have known many that have done this. I am curious to your answer.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• taxes and public assistance should be for those people in desperate NEED! If you can afford schooling or college courses, why or how can you justify collecting public assistance? It should be a temporary aid, not a permanent plan while people are on 'funployment'. Also, if you are a SAHM and collecting because you just do not want to leave your kids, well, that is crazy. What if EVERY mom in this world did that? I just DO NOT understand...
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Well for starters there are NO jobs and unless you change something your chances of getting one are pretty slim and not to likely to improve right now.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• You are very brave to open up this can of worms tonight...lol. I do agree on some points. But why shouldn't somebody be able to go back to school if they have been laid off? Maybe they want to get educated so that the next job will not lay them off...
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• ronjwake - I am curious to your answer. I really do not have an answer. I am asking the question. I really DO NOT understand why people feel they are entitled to this 'money' if they are capable.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I have no problem with people taking classes to get better jobs that will propel them into better jobs (hopefully) I don't understand the mentality of people collecting PA and not doing anything. And what I really don't understand is how it is different from state to state? In ohio, you have to show proof of looking for employment, etc. You can't say 'I am a SAHM' doing nothing.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 10:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• it is susposed to be against the rules to draw unemployment while laid off but Obama was talking of recinding this for the time being. Not sure if he did but it would be a rare instance I would agree with him.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• yes panelajqs - but on who's dime? How can you expect to live off the gov. just so you can go back to school? I REALLY do not understand that thinking. Why not get a job, however basic it may be, to support yourself and say take night or weekend classes? people do that all the time. I did to get my master's.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

So someone that has worked for a company for 7 or so years should not get an education if they are laid off or loose their job is what you are saying?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• GE encourged their employees to go to school and they did, at least many of them did.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 10:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009