If your water breaks and you DON'T start contracting right away......???

When do you need to do things to encourage contractions? (like how long can you wait)

What's the best way to get contractions going if your water breaks without contractions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My water broke before labor. I started contractions about 10-15 mins later. I was told to come straight to the hospital. Did your water break?
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• If your water has broken, you need to go to the hospital. If your contractions don't progress they will put you on pitocin.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my water broke, and they told me that i could have waiting a little while because i wasn't having contractions. I wish I would have, but we went straight to the hospital.
    every doctor will say something different, and everyone is different. So i'd make do what your dr. thinks is better.
    Anonymous

• With both my boys my water broke and about 4 hrs later my contractions started. With the first we were in a car accident which caused preterm labor. They actually said that my contractions most likely wouldn't start on their own since it was early but they were going to wait and see until morning (my water broke at midnight) and then if needed give me pitocin then to get me going. But they started around 4am. With my second my water broke around 1pm. I called the doctor. They had me come to office, checked to see if it really was my water that broke and then sent me to the hospital (which was across the parking lot) By the time I got settled in my room my contractions started, it was 3 to 4 hours after my water broke.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• my water broke at 1am. i called the hospital and they said come in, but since i wasnt contracting to take my time. We didn't get to the hospital until 330am and I didn't start having contractions until after 8am. It was no big deal and they let me progress on my own. I got pitocin later that morning. I was told that if I was unsure but I didn't want to call the doctor yet that I could call the nurses station on the maternity floor at the hospital. They are the ones that told me to come in and they called my dr.
    nico409ant

Answer by nico409ant at 12:38 AM on Jun. 15, 2009