15 week old

I have a little girl that is 15 weeks old. She is always chewing on her hands. If you take her hands out, she chews on your shirt, her bib, burp rag, toys, binky Does not suck on it, just chews it)...anything that can get to her mouth. It is all the time. I thought maybe teething but I do not see anything coming. I thought maybe she was hungry and I try offering her more and she does not want it. Maybe its the start of teething, I do not know. Did anyone elses baby do this? Did you figure out why or is it just one of those normal baby things? Thanks for the answers!

vickwu

Asked by vickwu at 11:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have the same thing going on right now with my DD. Even when she is eating she tries to put them in her mouth. HAHAHA. I put her on my tummy some times and just watch the drool come down on my shirt. People told me that she was hungry but i tried feeding her and she just gets mad. My DD doesnt seem in pain or anything though and not bothered by any teeth. Oh wow! Let me know how you go. How cute 1 tooth... ill miss the gummy smiles! Ps my DD has a binky! She chews all night long

I think it may also have something to do with them realising that their hands belong to them
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 3:19 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my daughter started that around that age and even though you couldn't really see much coming in teeth wise they start before you can see it b/c its still working its way into the gums, at least thats what her doc told me. after she started that it took about 2 or 3 months to get her first tooth.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• My boys would always act like they were teething but I could never see anything. Then about two weeks later a tooth would pop out. Perhaps that is what she is going to do.
    Anonymous

• I didn't have this problem that early but it does sound like she is teething. It can happen that early. You won't see any signs of teeth for a while, they just move up and down beneath the gums. Poor girl. Try getting the mesh teething bags that you can put refrigerated or frozen fruit or teething biscuits into. Also try refrigerated wash rags. I bet she's drooling a lot. Sounds like teething and is quite normal. I would just keep in touch with pedi so they can help answer any questions.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Thanks. I have one of those mesh things but I didnt know if I could put anything into it yet only being 3.5 months old. I do give it to her empty and she chews and chews on it. She is drooling a lot but she has always been a little bit of a drooler. She goes to the doctor in a week and half for her 4 month check up so I will talk to her doctor then. She does not seem in pain, she just wants everything in her mouth ALL THE TIME! She sleeps in a long sleeve onsie at night and by morning the sleeves are soaking wet from her chewing. She chews all night long in her sleep. Hmm, maybe I can expect a tooth before too long since that seems to be what is going on. Thanks everyone for your answers and advice!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Mine chewed everything until she turned 4

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• haha, yes! My DD will be 15 wks. on Thurs. and recently started sucking on her hands a lot. She does it especially when she is nervous or anxious, like when we are out in a new environment and she's a little stressed. I keep thinking she's hungry, but no. She refuses a pacifier so that's what she sucks on. It's funny.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009