Can you be prejudice and Christian?

Can you be prejudice and Christian?
Just wondering? Are there any scriptures that talk about being prejudice? If it is allowed or not? I’m asking because a person I know claims to be Christian I won’t name what denom. But she dislikes a particular color of people. It shocked me! I would think god does not allow such wickedness but I’m also Christian and I would think as a Christian you would not even say such things. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, they can, just look at those in the KKK. They claim to be Christians and yet they preach & teach hate & predjudices against a majority of races.
    witch_e_woman

Answer by witch_e_woman at 11:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I don't think so. I think that Jesus Christ loved all people and to be a Christian we should try to imitate Christ. I don't think she is a true Christian. JMHO.
    Anonymous

• Aren't all of the white supremecists Christians?

Answer by rkoloms at 11:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,
    36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
    37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Plain and simple ; the Bible says "Love thy neighbor" and made no distinction about the race, religion, sex, politics or any other exception about 'thy neighbor".

James 2:8&9 also -
    8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:
    9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• I believe that you can in the sense that it happens, in the sense that there are people who call themselves Christian who are prejudice, but I do not believe you should, if that makes sense.
    It is certainly not a trait I would imagine God wanting to have encouraged, especially given His love all and forgive all message.
    Jesus Himself associated with the lowly, and we are to live by His example (if we are Christians), so if He did not discriminate between people, did not show prejudice, how can we possibly justify doing so ourselves?
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Just because someone claims to be Christian does not make everything they do a Christian value. The answer is that Christians are not all perfect, and some may be bigots, but they are sinning and are not holding up their Christian values. Christianity calls for us to be kind, charitable, non-judging, and non violent. Clearly people who behave like the KKK are lying about their faith in Christ, or they simply don't care that they are violating the most basic tenets of their religion.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2009

• Exactly kemclaughlin. There isn't one perfect Christian out there, and we all have our own personal trials to overcome - I am sure prejudice is just as much a personal trial as any other, and although some are more reluctant to accept there is anything wrong with such a behaviour, it is still not something that compliments the qualities or beliefs Christianity professes.
    I imagine accepting the err in being prejudice and overcoming it is as difficult (or even moreso) than the many other trials faced by Christians all over.
    And, a lot of the time it does stem from ignorance, which doesn't excuse, but it does help lead to understanding of such ill a disposition. Sadly, one cannot force someone to believe, or even hear, truth if they wish to remain ignorant and prejudice....
    Which is its own trial, I believe.... Overcoming ignorance and the inclination/desire to remain ignorant....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• The Bible does teach against favoritism in James 2

And it teaches against prejudice in Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:06 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

• What someone claims to be and what someone truly is are two very different things. In my mind, to be Christian -- or Christ centered -- then one must truly be Christlike! Christ did not regard anyone based upon their color, race, etc. He socialized with the lepers and street walkers, believers and non believers. So, although your friend may like to present that she is a Christian, there seems to be something not Christ-like in her behavior. Your example of Christ-centered will hopefully speak to her heart.
    AislinnAsparas

Answer by AislinnAsparas at 12:37 AM on Jun. 15, 2009

No, there are a lot of socialist/Marxist supremacists that are atheistic.

And just to get the elephant in the room out from behind the curtain - how does one justify their prejudice against homosexuals with their scripture-backed discrimination against homosexuals?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2009